Match Highest Earner Clause

I'm Birmingham City in my game, 3 seasons in. In January, I asked the board to sign David Silva because the max wages I could offer him was 30,000 pounds a week. I figured the board could give him something reasonable, but not overly high. But in the end, they ended matching his existing contract of 160,000 pounds a week. Now Ben Foster and Graeme Dorrans are both at 160,000 pounds a week due to matching highest earner clause and I'm 300,000 POUNDS IN THE RED IN MY WAGE BUDGET! And I have 0 transfer budget.

Best part about it is that those two players both were signed before I took over, both have 4 years left on their contracts, and have both been put in the reserves because they aren't good enough for the squad!!!!

What should I do? I don't really have anybody I could sell at this point.

EDIT: Funny I tried to make both players unhappy so I could possibly mutually terminate their contracts, but their both ANGELS! I did all I could do but in the end they both ended up apologizing and admitting they were out of turn. DAMNIT

Kinda figured that it wouldnt be worth trying. Most of the time when I've had an player with a high salary, even if I offer them out for free, they usually decline contracts with other clubs because their wage offers are far too low from what their earning at my club.

First thing I always check when taking over a new club are the clauses on contracts.

I never ever give "match highest earner", no matter who the player is. If they already have it, I offer them new contracts with it removed.

For min fee release clauses on good players, I offer new contracts with increased min fees.

You got burned badly there mate, not much you can do at this stage except trying to loan them out every season until their contracts run out so that someone else might pick up 20% of their wages (keep them on the transfer list too)

Appreciate the advice dude. I guess I had to learn the lesson the hard way =(

TBF is not really your fault. It was your board that negotiated the contract. I bet they dont think of that when your going into liquidation and tell you that the wage bill needs reducing :p

Offer them new contracts, possibly with same basic (less if you can) but with shorter length.*

Transfer list both players.

Offer them to clubs.

If you recieve no offers reduce the price each time until you get a bid. IMO even if you let them leave for £0 you will be better off.

*Player may request you pay a % of their wages until the end of contract - I would accept this if reasonable.

If you cannot sell loan them out.

Offer them out for loan with a high fee and 100% wages - team will make their best offer. In my experience loans dont work like transfers in that teams are not put off by high demands so you can always obtain the max available.

Hope this helps

No one will buy, even for £0, or loan players, who are on such high wages.

I usually manage in lower leagues and always make sure the 'Match highest earner' is removed from negotiations, even if I have to up the wage or signing on fee a bit. Usually your new signings won't mind.

Also, be aware these clauses can ruin your budget, especially if you get promoted or win a major competition. Your rep will rise and you will be able to sign better players, who will demand higer wages.

Archived