FM 10: Official Panathinaikos Thread

Candre168

Official FM 2010 Panathinaikos Thread

panathinaikos_greece_club.png

Full name: Π.Α.Ε. Παναθηναϊκός (P.A.E. Panathinaikos)

Nicknames: Prasini (Greens) Tryfilli (Shamrock)

Founded: 1908

Ground: Olympic Stadium Athens (soon to be Panathinaikos Arena)

Fierce Rivals: Olympiakos

Rivals: AEK, PAOK

Continental Competition: Champions League

Welcome to the 2010 edition of the Panathinaikos thread! This thread here is to discuss about the FM playing of the team that is the heart of Greek Football, Panathinaikos!

Panathinaikos are one of the oldest clubs in Greek Football history, and the most successful Greek club when it comes to European competitions, making a Champions League Final back in 71. Panathinaikos are known for having the best Greek players playing for them with the majority of Greece's Euro 2004 winning squad coming from Panathinaikos, as well as a lot of the current Greek squad.

However, rivals Olympiakos have dominated the league in recent years, so there is a huge task on the hands of the Panathinaikos manager to overthrow them . There's also the challenge of good performances in Europe, as Panathinaikos fans will expect this to show the progression of their club. To help you meet these challenges, the Panathinaikos board will usually give you a raise of transfer funds if you ask for it, and editing the budget it always an option to take some excess wage money away. Even if this does not happen, winning the league/good Champions League performances can give you a budget of around 20M euros.

I should add, last year after 4 years of Management I won the Champions League with Panathinaikos, and this is a good target to set yourself. Be patient though, it takes time.

The Team

Goalkeepers:

Mario Galinovic

Alexandros Tzorvas

Orestis Karnezis

Central Defenders:

Christos Melissis (Out on Loan)

Loukas Vyntra

Nasief Morris (Out on Loan)

Cedric Kante

Josu Sarriegi

Mattias Bjarsmyr

David (Out On Loan, can be recalled)

Fullbacks:

Giourkas Seitaridis

Filippos Darlas

Nikos Sypropoulos

Gabriel

Bryce Moon (Out on Loan)

Stergos Marinos

Midfielders:

Elini Dimoutsos

Sotiris Leontinou (out on Loan)

Marcelo Mattos (Out on Loan)

Kostas Katsouranis

Alexandros Tziolis

Gilberto Silva

Mate Simao

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers:

Giorgos Karagounis ©

Sotiris Ninis

Cleyton

Lazaros Christodolopoulos

Andreas Ivanschtiz (Out on Loan)

Sebastian Leto

Strikers:

Vangelis Mantzios

Dimitris Salpingidis

Djibril Cisse

Antonis Petropoulos

Ante Rukavina

GK - There is a need at GK for Panathinaikos. Galinovic is not that good, and Tzorvas only turns out decent-ish. The decision is yours as manager as to whether you want to buy a cheap experienced player in the beginning or go for a star in the beginning. Because other positions need strengthening, I'd for a experienced GK to start you off. Something definitely needs to be done at GK though;

CB - Kante and BJarsmyr should start. Miranda from Sao Paulo is available if you need him for cheap. After a season you should look to bring in a star CB to take your team to the next level. Gilberto Silva can be played here if needed.

FB's - Seitaridis joined on a free from Atletico Madrid, and is a good experienced option at RB. Sypropoulos is a handy LB to have, nothing special but he can stand his ground.

CM's - Arguably the strongest position for Panathinaikos. Katsouranis, Gilberto Silva and Simao can all play DM, with Karagounis as a good more attacking CM. Ninis turns into one of the best in his position with games, so I would play him all the time. I play a 4-2-3-1 so I always play him at AMC. There is absolute no need for work here, DM/CM/AMC is all covered by very good players. Even Cleyton and Christodolopoulos are good depth players to have.

AML/AMR - Sebastian Leto is a good young player and should be starting on the left, Ninis can play a AMR but is better at AMC, so AMR is a position of need immediately. I'd look to South America to try and get a inside forward type player. Salpingidis can play here, but is not that good at this position.

ST - Record signing Djibril Cisse should comfortably start. If you want to play with two strikers then I'd suggest buying him a partner, but if you play a 4-2-3-1 like me, then make at least one of the wigners inside forwards to provide some support.

Stars: Djibril Cisse, Gilberto Silva and Karagounis.

Young stars: Ninis, Leto and Simao.

Fodder: Mantzios, Marinos Karnezis.

To conclude, I think you'll all find Panathinaikos as a good challenge, and for those who don't want to manage Panathinaikos for too long, a good starting stage for a manager wanting to be introduced to Europe's big leagues :)

I realise I didn't write too much, I don't want to take time away from the playing!

• 2 weeks later...

Katsouranis is a star as well. As in real life he scores loads in every way there is besides free kicks (you got kara for that). Usually playing him as ball winning mid and rarely as box to box.

Eduardo Salvio for right winger / inside forward. He is cheap can play from the 1st season and can play striker as well.

Make sure you buy Otamendi in the first season when hes cheap. he can start from the start as well and turns out world class.

Glauber is a good free for CB as well.

• 4 weeks later...

^ It's not just about production, but Brazil & Argentina are the main source of Greek transfers so I really want all their players available to me. I guess I could just load All players from top division but the searching I've done shows they don't really produce players when you don't load the countries up...maybe I'm wrong :p.

indeed its fixed. I started a new pao save and on the 4rth year i was almost bankrupt. I won the CL that year and even sold a few players but all the 48 month buys left me with a huge debt. Having to pay huge wages for players to come because of low rep hurts so much later on.

I made it to the knockout phases of CL till 2012-2013 season where i got to the final and beat barca 4-3 in extra time after pique gave away a penalty 2m after the match should have ended and while the score was 2-3.

Won the greek league every time with ease and the greek cup twice as well.

this is my team late in 2013 - 2014 season. I got knocked out of CL early and decided to sim after the mid season transfer window and this is the result. my assman is too much of an ass to register the u21 and u18 players.

panathinaikosao.png

What i find really annoying is how players that you would sell for 30m if you were an EPL team you can only sell for a third of that in GSL. Reflects RL i guess but its still very frustrating when you are almost bankrupt.

:eek: Awesome team!!! I wish I can build a team like that eventually :cool:

I try not to overspend too much and get into debt, but I found on FM2009 that after 3 years my club was in a strong financial position. 48 Month buys can be a real killer :D

I have that problem as well, but it happens in all leagues on FM that don't have top 4 reputation.

panathinaikosao2.png

panathinaikosao3.png

Rosisky was a great backup and he tutored all my mids and wingers to curl call.

Witsel proved to be better than i thought as a playmaker. he was my last option since defour went to chelsea, Van der Vaart to lazio(?) and montolivo wouldnt join.

I regreted not getting Eduardo Salvio tho, thought i should play Ninis there instead and keep the non-eu spot for someone else but now i think he is too slow to play as a winger. if i started now i'd play him as a mid, advanced playmaker. He is too jack of all trades to restrict on the wing imo.

finances are fine again. I loaned most of the backups that had high wages out with a loan fee and didnt buy any players for a season. Then the management re-arranged the loan payments and gave me 30m transfer budget the next season. And i dont even need it really since i got good young players in the first two seasons. I'm now gonna sell the ones i dont need like areola that reached his maximum potential and will get me 15-20mill maybe even more. Maybe Cardozo since hes 31 now. he will get me another 10m.

As long as you bring in players that will last and make you win things or bring you profit after they are developed its fine spending too much early on.

I loaded England, Spain, France, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Italy and Greece. some are view only.

I would not advise making those huge 48 Month offers every time. Do it a couple of times because CL football + Winning the league will get you it back, but that kind of spending would hurt a lot of EPL teams...let alone Greek teams.

jasonf, I think I'm going to load the same leagues as you did, but I might add Serbia or Belgium or something and remove Germany.

I have all my transfers in mind already, I'll look for a DC + a AMR. I'm going to try 4-2-3-1 to accommodate for my awesome Midfield. Simao has a high PA btw.

Also, I'll put a list of suggested coaches to get.

Yeah simao becomes really good but he takes a non-eu spot. same with leto.

Ricardo Moniz should top that coach list. he was a great assistand manager for me but he never stays in a team for more than a year.

4-2-3-1 worked really well in my first pao save. Katsouranis as box to box was simply awesome.

Save started now...I loaded

Argentina (Top)

Brazil (Top)

England (Championship)

France (Top)

Germany (Top)

Greece (All)

Italy (Top)

Spain (Top)

Medium database, all players from first divisions of Germany, Portugal and Serbia.

Sarriegi out for 1.4M EUR and Mantzios for 2.7M already :)

Signings:

Otamendi 5M

Areola 100k

Eduardo Salvio 7.75M

Pavone Loan 100k

D'Alessandro 6.5M

Outs:

Cleyton 4M

Tziolis 3.6M

Sarriegi 1.4M

Rukavina 3.2M

Mantzios 2.7M

Gabriel 3.2M

I brought in more money than I spent, but Ochoa is coming in January for 10M. I loaned Gilberto out to HSV but I can recall him when I need him. Moniz is my assistant, and I also got a bunch of random coaches :p.

Jasonf. what tactic did you use man? Im killing it in the Greek league first season, but really struggle against big teams. lost 5-1 at home to real madrid in UCL first season.

Im still in first season, 7 points clear at the top, and in the Europa League last 16

But I need a really good tactic that can compete against the big teams.

Btw, I signed, Anthony Annan (Gun), Otamendi, Ljajic and Yannis Tafer on loan

I didnt, i just payed them huge sign on fees and wages. with rosisky i got lucky in january. they replaced him by the time he got back from injury and transfer listed him so it wont happen every game.

The skin is called vitreous i think.

The tactic is an attacking 4-4-2 with wingers as inside forwards support and full attacking mentality (more than strikers). Strikers are poacher and advanced. MC is advanced playmaker and DMC is defensive mid on support with alot of tweaking as well. I tweak it a lot when playing CL, depending on the players i use and the team im facing. sometimes i make it 4-5-1.

Good to see you are getting some decent prices for sending players out. i didnt have the patience since they are so many :p

Buy lukaku before someone else does btw hes so worth it.

Jasonf. what tactic did you use man? Im killing it in the Greek league first season, but really struggle against big teams. lost 5-1 at home to real madrid in UCL first season.

Im still in first season, 7 points clear at the top, and in the Europa League last 16

But I need a really good tactic that can compete against the big teams.

Btw, I signed, Anthony Annan (Gun), Otamendi, Ljajic and Yannis Tafer on loan

Hey. Against the big teams you might want to play with a DM. Don't give them too much respect though.

In a Friendly Competition I got the following results by playing a defensive formation but semi-attacking Football. I was at home btw, if you are away just play for a draw :p.

Panathinaikos 2-1 Valencia

Panathinaikos 2-2 Porto

Panathinaikos 1-2 Fiorentina

My CL group is:

Arsenal

Panathinaikos

Besiktas

Rubin

The game must have it out for me :p.

didnt realise the were so many Pao fans on FM does anyone recommend any good Greek players i can sign for my Panathinaikos team as i dont want to fill up my roster with foreigners. I have also signed Josh Lambo has anyone got any experience with him does he turn out any good.

I had 33M transfer budget in the summer.

I bought

Negredo

Maxwell (from Barca)

Koutsianikoulis

Nacer Barazite

Zezinho

Renan (Sao Paulo)

I need a DM, I bought Renan but I can sell him for the same price I bought him...I wanted Battaglia but he's 13M. I still have around 17M left.

Think I should stick with Renan (Sao Paulo) or Battaglia for more money?

^ Well Renan the DM has Italian passport for me, but I loaned him out and got Inler in who's been superb. Cissé + Negredo up front are both awesome. My team is at the point where we will easily win the league. My CL group is:

Barcelona

Me

Schalke

FC Moscow

I beat Schalke 1-0 away, so I'm hopefully making the Last 16 :). I'm going to give some youth/reserves a go in the easier Superleague games at this rate to preserve the energy for the CL :).

Can I take a look at those 3 regens please? :)

What training schedules do you use?

Just finished a crap first season.

I won the cup though, but lost the championship on goal difference to Olympiakos, and getting knocked out of the Europa League in the first knock-out stage. To add insult to injury, I finished second in the play-off spots, which means no Champion League this year.

On the positives, I managed to sign Deco from Chelsea on a free transfer and Petri Pasanen from Werder for £2,1 Million. Still need around 5 players to make the squad complete. I have the money, but the wage budget is ridiculous. Can't get any players on that.

Hi lads,

I'm thinking of starting a career with Pana :). I'm just about to install the 10.2 patch so i'll be starting soon.

Anyone got any tips on expectations and players to buy and sell?

Cheers :)

Title challenge imo.

Clear out these players:

Mantzios (2.7)

Sarriegi (1.4)

Cleyton (4)

Rukavina (3.2)

Gabriel (3.7)

Maybe Tziolis (4)

Then you'll have loads to spend. Try and get Otamendi and Salvio, may not pay off immediately but eventually they will be awesome.

By the 2nd season, if you win the league you'll have LOADS AND LOADS to spend...more than a lot of EPL clubs. btw, if you tick "filter out unrealistic targets" in the 2nd season, it filters out players you could actually buy. Like Gokhan Inler didn't show when I ticked that but I still signed him in season 2.

Archived