I have already bought FM2009

I've just built a new computer and am in the process of getting all my games up and running on it. I cant play footie manager on it because it says the key is already active. I'm logging into steam using my existing user and pass, downloaded the game etc. onto the new PC. How do I get around this? The help files on the sigames website are pretty useless.

Windows won't let the programme create the request.txt file - comes up with a random error message;

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit the application will close immediately. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)"

I click continue, and the error message dissapears and nothing happens. I tried searching my computer for a file called "Request.txt" with no results. Anyone had this error message, or know anywhere where maybe the file has been created? This is rather frustrating

they are deactivated.. apparently. Its ridiculous that si dont activate fm through steam itself, rather than making it this complicated where things are clearly going to go wrong. On that website that QPR gave me, apparently both my computers are deactivated. Strange that, now I can still play the game on my old pc. Clearly SI have f***ed up royally. Any no admin seems to give a sh*t to help.

How many computers can I install the game on?

You can install and play the game on 5 computers at a time. We call these "license seats". 1 License seat = 1 unique computer.

In the FAQ. So, I've only got 2 computers why isnt it working. especially when its saying there are no active computers! This is ridiculous. Was thinking of activating over the phone but I cant see that helping.

It KEEPS coming up saying "The activation key is already active..." I check http://deactivation.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ and that says;

"Below is a list of computers that are actively licensed to play Football Manager 2009. Using the check boxes below, select the computers you wish to deactivate. By deactivating a computer you will free up a license seat for Football Manager 2009. Freeing a license seat allows you to use your license key on a different/additional computer. However, the computers you deactivate will no longer be able to play Football Manager 2009.

* No computers were activated using your license key"

So what the hell is going on. That site says there are no active PC's, however I can play it fine on my old PC. Yesterday the site showed up 2 pc's and I then de-activated them. Now its saying there arent any but I can still play on my old pc? Seems like that site is pretty useless.

I tried both those things, found the problem eventually and just got it going. It ended up being steam messing about. I now run it outside of steam. I opened steam, found the steam folder > steam apps > common > FM2009 -- made a shortcut to the fm2009 application and put it on the desktop, exited steam and it opens outside steam using the shortcut. I did activate the game using the fixv3 application first, just to make sure it was all activated properly. So if anyone has this problem this is what to do, if steam and the activation application are messing you about. May be worth putting this in the Troubleshooting guide admin?

Archived