Board excessively restricting player's wages

Just having my first bash at FM09 and found a bit of an annoying problem in the Scottish Lower Leagues. Basically, I've sold or released most of my top earning players (£150-ish a week) and in January, thus reducing wages to half of the wage budget (about £1,600 / week with a budget of £3,200).

I thought this would let me bring in a few decent players, however, the board are still restricting offers for any contracts to just £80 a week, even as key players.

Any ideas why this happens? Or will they ever loosen the purse strings slightly? Seems very odd...

I think the board takes into consideration the reputation of the player/coach you're trying to sign. It doesn't matter how **** or good the person in question is, the board will have a lower salary cap for people with lower reputation.

This overly restrictive and uneditable/nonadjustable programming really takes a lot of fun away from the game. There is no reason why a human manager shouldnt be able to sign any player he has the budget for. At some point, the ascetics from SI will have to allow their customers more latitude in how they want to play the game.

Releasing players manually does not free the money for the wages as i believe it comes straight off your transfer budget, so negates any of the freeing up actions you may require. I however am very drunk and have probably typed a load of nonsense. Hopefully someone who does not have the first day off since Dec 19th below and thus not so drunk may be able to tell me if i am right or wrong.

Archived