How did our first season go?

So I have just finished my first season on the full game.

Was Rangers ended up finishing 6 points behind Celtic in the league and loosing in the Semi's of both domestic cup competitions. Europe ended in the first knockout stage of the UEFA Cup.

Problem really had was scoring. Kris Boyd went off form half way through the season. Kyle Lafferty was hit and miss although ending up as the fans player of the year. Kenny Miller useless.

Although that hopefully will change Kaffery and Miller out Vagner Love and Arouna Kone in.

So how did everyone else's first years go?

So I have just finished my first season on the full game.

Was Rangers ended up finishing 6 points behind Celtic in the league and loosing in the Semi's of both domestic cup competitions. Europe ended in the first knockout stage of the UEFA Cup.

Problem really had was scoring. Kris Boyd went off form half way through the season. Kyle Lafferty was hit and miss although ending up as the fans player of the year. Kenny Miller useless.

Although that hopefully will change Kaffery and Miller out Vagner Love and Arouna Kone in.

So how did everyone else's first years go?

its alright for u getting through a season!!! lol i cant even get mine to work!!! haha

Well i took over as my beloved Newcastle.

This was truly a brilliant season in my eyes and one of the most difficult of my Fm career to date.

All started well but a few weeks into the job there was speculation that a tycoon was taking over the club who would appoint Alan Curbishley if successful.

This certainly didn't help me. A instant transfer embargo was placed meaning no people in our out of the club. This lasted the whole transfer window and despite various media rumours i was unaware of any updates.

There was supposedly a major breakthrough a few weeks later but again nothing materialised.

On the pitch my pre-season wasn't overly good. In fact i didn't win a game. At this stage i was not concerned although my strikers couldnt hit a barn door, never mind the back of a net.

The opening day of the season got of to a good start. A early goal from Xisco put us 1-0 up against Blackburn. After the break all went down hill. N'Zogbia, the best player on the pitch got injured meaning a unfit Damien Duff got a unexpected run out. Blackburn scored and a change in tactics didn't have the desired effect. We went onto lose the game 2-3.

The media had a frenzy with this result, highlighting the fact that all players don't think i am experienced enough for the challenge Newcastle is.

The next game, against Man Utd also ended in defeat, 2-0 although the performance wasn't overly bad. The next game against Northampton brought 8 team changes. A 5-0 win was the result, the amble of squad rotation paid off.

Over the time till January all went quiet on the takeover front. On the pitch 4 successive wins, including a Obefemi Martins hattrick in a 3-1 win against Liverpool meant al was well.

Then things went down hill..

The consortium pulled out of the takoever sighting they werent able to agree a price with Mike Ashley. This lifted the transfer embargo were i got 4 million for the January transfer window.

Then a succession of high profile players announced they may want to leave. These included Michael Owen, whose contract runs out at the end of the season. Martins, Barton and Taylor also announced their potential plans for the future.

This effected the players and some bad results followed. What the media considered certain wins turned into scrappy defeats, accumulating of bad performances, red cards and awful defending. Despite a 1-1 draw with Chelsea all was not well.

As January approached Man Utd were top of the league with Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool making up the top 4.

Newcastle were down in 9th which the board accepted but the fans did not.

I brought in the experience of Emerson from A.C Milan on loan for the rest of the season. This was to be the only reasonably high profile signing. A few scouted youngsters followed, along with Shola Ameobi, Nile Ranger leaving on loan deals. I had hope to sell the dead wood, Blackburn wanted Alan Smith for £5 million, Everton wanted Enrique for 6.25 million. I was willing to sell but replacements would have to be brought in.

Then the unthinkable happened. Recent media had made me aware, but, yet another transfer embargo was placed upon me. Another consortium was in advanced talks with Ashley. They also wanted to appoint their own manager.

This ruined everything. No one could now leave, i simply didnt have the numbers. This and Michael Owen constantly refusing to sign a new deal made everyone's morale dropped.

I had to carry on.

Having been knocked out of the league cup 4th round by a surprisingly strong Arsenal team, i only realistically had the F.A Cup to focus upon. A home draw against Ipswich resulted in a comfortable 3-0 win. The results may have not been our way, however Martins couldn't stop scoring, 6 in his next 5 games got me some valuable league points.

Michael Owen again went to the media after Chelsea declared interest in him. He still wouldn't sing a new deal.

In the league a bad spell for Liverpool sent them down to 6th with Man City entering the top 4. West Brom, Hull and Fulham accounted for the bottom 3.

Some good results followed including a memorable 4-1 victory against mighty rivals Sunderland, a Martins hattrick again. This meant Newcastle had done the double over them this season.

A 5-2 win against Fulham in the F.A Cup 5th round was my personal game of the season. SHAY GIVEN opened the scoring from a goal kick, Paul Robinson style. My first goalkeeper goal ever, even better in 3D meant it was a brilliant game.

Unfortunately i was knocked out 2-1 by Liverpool in the next round, Torres with the goals.

With no update on the takeover i had to focus with the games themselves. Michael Owen still wanted to leave and now Martins and Barton were very unsettled. New contracts for Shay Given, Steven Taylor and Charles N'zogbia were followed up with some majestic performances from the trio, much needed win collected point sending Newcastle back up to 9th.

With 4 games left in the season the takeover was completed. The new chairman nicely informed that his intention was always to appoint a new high profile manager. He would therefore assess me first.

I knew my job was on the line and results really did matter. The four games were against Middlesbrough, Hull, Everton and finally Aston Villa.

I won them all.

Thinks couldn't get better could they? Yes they could.

Michael Owen, (16 league goals that season) finally agreed to a new 3 year deal at £125,000 a week wage. The new chairman then announced i could keep my job after impressing him. A stadium expansion was announced as well as improvements to both training and youth facilities.

The league was over. Newcastle finished in 8th place.

Fulham, Stoke and Hull were all relegated.

The shock of the year was that of Blackburn Rovers, Finishing 4th in the league and getting that Champions League spot. Roque Santa Cruz won top goal scorer to top a brilliant season for them. Liverpool lost out finishing 5th.

There was my season. Martins finished top scorer with 29 goals in all competitions. My player of the season however was Jonas. The winger chipping in with 9 goals and 15 assists.

I have great plans for the future.

Dan.

Archived