Is DRM counter-productive to profit maximisation?

So most people will remember Miles saying Pirates were "stealing food off his table" but is this really true? DRM has obviously been introduced to FM in order to boost the number of sales SI make, and for no other reason, but is that going to work? Will FM09 experience a disproportionate growth in sales, and will that be down to DRM?

If FM08 sold 10% more than FM07, to say with any degree of confidence that DRM is working, the percentage increase in sales from FM08 to FM09 would have to be > 10.

Will this happen?

No, obviously not, and if it does, it's in spite of DRM.

1) 5 licences means people may well allow their friends to install it in their computers, reducing sales

2) The absolute farce of how things have gone so far will mean people will return their game

3) Piraters don't buy games anyway, if they can't get a pirated copy of FM09 (which they can) they just won't buy it.

Any other opinons?

3) is so true. Know people who never buy games and they dont really go and look for a game they just go look for what is new and good and if they cant get fm09, they will get fm08. The fans will get it any way.

Also 2) is true, because this is going down to the store first thing next morning, atleast i got to smell the manual and that is the most i have enjoyed fm09 at this point.

you do realise that very few shops will accept returns of pc games if they've been taken out of the plastic wrapper?

They have to if you tell them it isnt working... Got away with more from my local shop (like games not working because of my computer when i was younger)... It's just about finding a old lady to get your refund and the shop i bought it in isnt EB or Gamestop... It's a pretty normal shop who got their main focus on books. :)

if it's out of the plastic wrapper it's considered "open" by default, whether you tell them otherwise or not. that's the purpose of the plastic wrapper in the first place

Sorry i got a horrible typo i mean working not open in the post... Way too late her.

But as i said it will be no problem.

if it's out of the plastic wrapper it's considered "open" by default, whether you tell them otherwise or not. that's the purpose of the plastic wrapper in the first place

GAME remove the shrink and put there own seal on... are they allowed to do that?

Places like ASDA will take a return back either way... they sometimes even sell copies with and without the shrink wrapping so its hard to tell.

When in doubt about a game i always go to Asda.

well I got a copy from game today and it's still in the plastic wrapping... didn't realise it was different to the original stuff tbh. it's going back tomorrow anyway because I wasn't going to buy the game but my housemate asked me to pick up a copy for him, without realising he'd been sent one in the post this morning

Archived