Core i7 & FM2009

It's Football manager, not Crysis. Even your Q6600 is MORE than enough to run it at 100%.

I know my Q6600 will "run it", but that's not what I was asking. :rolleyes:

I want to know if the re-introduction of Hyper-Threading in the Core i7 line will have any "marked" affect on the processing speed in relation to FM2009.

The main advantages are a higher minimum bus speed, it uses L3 cache with is useful but alot of quadcores already have that. The clock speed is higher, but some programs don't handle hyperthreading properly when under intense load. Technically, each of your cores would be split in two, usually it can offer slight performance boosts, other times (e.g. a server or other CPU intensive programs) it can put the processor under un-needed stress and offer no performance boost.

However, I believe a few games ago FM was optimized for hyperthreading technology so it'll get the maximum potential from the processor and this new processor is quite good anyway, worth a try if you're desperate for a new processor.

It's got to a point though where all the new processors can run all the leagues on FM2008 quite easily, I'm guessing this one will just allow you to do that, just slightly quicker.

You may be best of keeping your Q6600 as it's still a solid processor, especially when given superb cooling and overclocked abit. It comes stock as 2.Ghz, it handles 3Ghz with ease, it can handle 3.4Ghz pretty well (the clockspeed of the new Core i7 from stock) but I wouldn't go any higher even though I have done a few times in the past experimenting with cooling techniques.

However, I believe a few games ago FM was optimized for hyperthreading technology so it'll get the maximum potential from the processor and this new processor is quite good anyway, worth a try if you're desperate for a new processor.

I think it was FM2006 that was optimized for hyperthreading? I was just interested to hear what Neil (or one of the other SI nerds) had to say about it's affect (if any) on FM2009. :-)

It's got to a point though where all the new processors can run all the leagues on FM2008 quite easily, I'm guessing this one will just allow you to do that, just slightly quicker.

Yeah, I doubt there will be "too" much difference, but we can hope.

You may be best of keeping your Q6600 as it's still a solid processor, especially when given superb cooling and overclocked abit. It comes stock as 2.Ghz, it handles 3Ghz with ease, it can handle 3.4Ghz pretty well (the clockspeed of the new Core i7 from stock) but I wouldn't go any higher even though I have done a few times in the past experimenting with cooling techniques.

I've already got the Q6600 running at 3.4GHZ. I've read that 4GHZ is achievable with the Core i7 920, and that would be pretty sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived