FM2008 Official Portsmouth Thread

Sheer Class

I apologise for not knowing how to do the club badge thing so apologies there.

Club Info

Nation England

Year Founded 1898

Status Professional

Reputation National

Chairman Status Loves the club

Favoured Personnel Alexandre Gaydamak, Linvoy Primus

Fierce Rivals Southampton

Other Rivals Reading

Finances Rich

Stadium Fratton Park, Portsmouth

Planned Expansion: Move to a new stadium

Stadium Capacity 20300

Reserve Stadium West Leigh Park

Training Facilities Excellent Training Facilities

Youth Facilities Good Youth Facilities

Media Prediction 8th

Squad Average Age 25

Squad Personality Determined

Current Records

Most League Apps Jimmy Dickinson

Most League Goals Peter Harris

Most Overall Apps Jimmy Dickinson

Most Overall Goals Peter Harris

Highest Fee Spent John Utaka Rennes £8,100,000

Highest Fee Received Yakubu Middlesbrough £7,500,000

Record Attendance Notts County 51385 26/2/1949

Record Win Notts County 9 1 9/4/1927

Record Defeat Leicester 0 10 20/10/1928

Longest Winning Run 7 19/4/1980 30/8/1980

Longest Losing Run 9 21/10/1975 6/12/1975

Longest Unbeaten Run 15 16/4/1921 15/10/1921

Longest Run Without Win 25 22/1/1958 17/10/1958

Players CA's

1. James, David (168)

2. Campbell, Sol (156)

3. Distin, Sylvain (152)

4. Muntari, Sulley Ali (150)

5. Utaka, John (150)

6. Lauren (149)

7. Benjani (147)

8. Kranjcar, Niko (145)

9. Primus, Linvoy (143)

10. Mendes, Pedro (141)

11. Kanu, Nwankwo (140)

12. O'Neil, Gary (137)

13. Taylor, Matthew (137)

14. Davis, Sean (136)

15. Hreiðarsson, Hermann (135)

16. Traoré, Djimi (134)

17. Ashdown, Jamie (131)

18. Hughes, Richard (131)

19. Pamarot, Noé (131)

20. Mvuemba, Arnold (130)

21. Nugent, Dave (130)

22. Stefanovic, Dejan (129)

23. Cranie, Martin (120)

24. Duffy, Richard (98)

25. Songo'o, Franck (96)

26. Wilson, Marc (94)

27. Reynolds, Callum (81)

28. Ritchie, Matty (71)

29. Castles, Louis (70)

30. Cowan-Hall, Paris (70)

31. Jordan, Nick (69)

32. Pack, Marlon (63)

33. Ward, Joel (63)

34. Walker, Steven (58)

35. Woodford, Ryan (55)

36. Bogart, Daniel (52)

37. Hughes, Jordan (50)

38. Rungratsamee, Supat (50)

39. Oastler, Joseph (45)

40. Page, Jonathan (24)

41. Van der Korput, Jean-Yves (20)

42. Govas, Andreas (15)

Couple of things extra

No expansion of Fratton Park is possible so dont waste time asking.

Beware of over succeeding as Mr Gaydamak is a very ambitious young chairman of which you may struggle to keep up with at first but he does reward you for financial prudence icon_wink.gif

July 2011 see Portsmouth move to a new 36,000 seater stadium and the start of a new age for Portsmouth.

Have fun icon_smile.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Reached January, and we're currently 4th. Still in the Carling Cup, currently in the semis, FA Cup games still to come.

Made 4 signings which were pre-arranged for the 1st, Oscar Cordoba arriving on a free as a keeper back-up, along with the £2.5m permenant signing of Harry Kewell.

The other two signings were Karim El-Mourabet, who joined from Nantes for £1.8m, and the big signing is Jermain Defoe, arriving from Spurs for £7m to bolster my attack.

Currently spent £23m so far this season, bringing in £6.5m, most recent sale was Sean Davis to Wigan for £4m.

Still got a nice £6m to spend, any suggestions? Thinking about some youth talent. Though I'm considering selling one or two players if possible (Mvuemba attracting interest, is he worth keeping? Same with Mendes), hopefully at least one back-up out this window.

thanks wisla_krakow for telling us where the pompey thread is,if you want some youth well Sotiris Ninis(panathinakos) is aswome and only costs about 1m (chelsea just inquided about him). another youngster is Lefteris Matsoukas his only 875k, Genero Zeefuik from psv for 375k is another one. i would sell Mvuemba and keep Pedro Mendes thats what i did.

Players In-Jermaine Defoe for 14.5m, Harry Kewell for 5.25m,Sotiris Ninis for 1m,Genero Zeefuik for 375k(back up), Lefteris Matsoukas for 875k,Andrey Arshavin for 9.75m,Oier Olazabal for 600k(back up keeper),Chris Eagles in on loan.

Future In- Guy Asulin and Bruno Formigoni

Players Out On Loan- Marc Wilson(port vale) and Martin Cranie(derby) and Frank Songo'o(chesterfield)

Players Out- Richard Duffy for 875K,Richard Hughes for 2m,Arnold Mvuemba for 2.1m,Jamie Ashdown for 3.1m.

Sol Campbell dislike Benjani and Distin what should i do?

The league table is very close-

1st Chelsea on 45points, played 20 games

2nd Pompey on 41points, played 20 games

3rd Man Utd on 40points, played 20 games

4th Man City on 40points, played 20 games

The only game i have lost is to Man City(away) lost 1-0 bianchi, but Distin got sent off and i was down to 10 men.But i beat City next time i played them 3-2 . I have drawn with all the big teams 1-1 with liverpool(A), 1-1 with chelsea(H),1-1 with arsenal(A),0-0 with man utd(H).

Top Scores- Utaka 22 games 10 goals,Defoe 9 games 9 goals,Benjani 13 games 4 goals.

I don't understand why Benjani's finishing so low, the amount of goals he scores for us in real life it should be higher. I also don't no why more people dont play as pompey we have money and we have a great squad.

ill keep you updated with how i go.

In the end, sold Mendes to Reading for £6.5m (great deal imo), and then went to beat him and his new team 3-0 in the Carling Cup Semis first leg icon14.gif.

Currently brought in Alex from Vasco for £500k and Thiago from Barcelona for £900k, two great Brazilians for the future, and suprisingly both got WPs so I won't be needing to loan them out to get one.

On a scoring note, Utaka has scored 27 goals in 27 games, but is currently on international duty at the ACoN.

Sol Campbell dislike Benjani and Distin what should i do?

That's quite a worry if Campbell and Distin are playing together imo, as I think that would damage their performane together. I know for sure that if players have another player on their team on their favourite personnel list, they play better with them, so if they dislike them I assume it works the other way around.

Originally posted by follow the blind:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't understand why Benjani's finishing so low, the amount of goals he scores for us in real life it should be higher. I also don't no why more people dont play as pompey we have money and we have a great squad.

becuase benjani was horrible last season icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His finishing was poor yes, but his general play was very good.

Though I'm sure you meant finishing anyway but still icon_wink.gif.

What Formation Does Evryone use, I cannot get Utaka to hit the Broud Side of a Barn ATM.

I have Played about with 3-5-2 (Wing Backs), 4-4-2 both Normal and Dimond and even 4-3-3 and Still Goals are hard to come by

Guest badlydrunkboy

I can never get wps for any wonderkid i try to sign. Really annoying! That Lulinha couldn't even get one.

Also, how is Nugent in the game? I dont play him cos i dont like the bloke but if he's any good i might give him a try.

Yes, thanks for the link and sorry I missed this thread before. Can we consider this http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/82219617/m/3232040653 as part of this thread now?

On Benjani, try playing him up front and set him to run with the ball often. Also set his attacking level to be roughly the same as the rest of the team (i.e. not attacking more than others). I did this by accident three games though and since then he can’t stop scoring. This could of course just be a coincidence, but give it a go as I’d be interested to see what happens with you.

On Utaka, I play him either on the right in a 4-5-1 or up front in 4-4-2, with settings on attacking and running with the ball. The man just can’t stop scoring for me - accept, in my game, he’s just broken his leg – damn!

a couple of good players ive bought for pompey are Van der Vaart (12mil, offer him 50k per week and a higher signing on fee - he will drag your team through even the worst matches), ignashevich (free transfer and campbell's equal) and ever banegra (2.9mil).

I find a 4-4-2 diamond for attack and a 4-2-2-1-1 (flat back four, two def mids, two wingers, att mid and lone striker) for defence work quite well icon_smile.gif

Here's a recap of my January transfers:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Jermain Defoe Tottenham £7m

Oscar Cordoba Deportivo Cali Free

Harry Kewell Liverpool £2.5m

Karim El-Mourabet FC Nantes £1.8m

Alex Vasco £500k

Thiago Barcelona £900k

Yoann Gouffran Caen £2.9m

Alessandro Tuia Lazio £2.3m

</pre>

Pleased with the final haul, Kewell, El-Mourabet, Defoe and Gouffran all strengthening the first team, with Tuia, Alex and Thiago bookmarked for the future.

Also got a few signings confirmed for next season:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Aaron Valencia £3m

Lulinha Corinthians £5m

Mateo Mussachio River £90k

</pre>

Very pleased I managed to get Lulinha, and Aaron has -10 PA iirc so hopefully he can fill that. Mussachio was a great youngster for me on FM07, hopefully he's still as good on FM08.

In the league, we're 5th in my March. We lost a few games while the ACoN was on, but we've recoverd since then, currently unbeaten in our last 6 games, having won the last 4 (including a great 1-0 win against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge).

In the Carling Cup, we beat Reading 6-1 on aggregate in the Semis, but lost 1-0 to Chelsea, an early Pandev goal (annoying only his fourth of the season).

In the FA Cup, we're into the Semis there, beaten Sheff Utd, Man City, Fulham and recently Blackburn to get there, where we will play Sunderland, so confident of a result.

All in all a good season so far and hopefully it can end that way icon_smile.gif.

Finished the season, came 5th in the end with 73 points icon_smile.gif.

Got to both the finals of the Carling Cup and the FA Cup, but lost 1-0 to Chelsea and 4-2 to Man Utd in them.

All in all a good season, board given me £30m and £1m wage budget for next season to repeat what I've done this season icon14.gif.

Have just finshed my first season. Ended up 8 but made it into europe by making it to the FA cup final where i came unstuck against Man Utd 5-2

Should hope to push on in the second season the board have given me 30m to play with in the transfer market. Was looking to bring a couple of world class players if possible. Was looking for a pacey striker and a top class centre back and and mybe a top class left back.

Was looking at Anelka but Bolton want 20m for him as he has banged in 30 goals this season just gone. Also was thinking for bringing in mackalele (sp) from Chelsea to help Banega with the work load in the center of the park and also to tutor him.

Have got Lulinha alreday on the way to help pablo piatti with the load in the AMC postion. Liverpool are sniffing around Muntari so i might move him on if the money is good.

and use the cash to bring a expericened face to help the young guns kasper Hamalainen and Sotiris Ninis.

If any of you guys have any tip they would be most welcome.

To begin with, try David Bentley from Blackburn, he filled in great on the right in midfield, in the first year had an average rating of 7.44 and helped me to come 3rd in the league. I had also bought Harry Kewell, Oscar Cordoba and Felipe for a backup Goalkeeper

Hi everyone. Starting a Pompey game after i very interesting one last year. I decided to go for young talent and ended up with some very valuable players icon_biggrin.gif. So, i've started off this year by securing Breno, Lulinha and Stevan Jovetic. I have sold David James and Sol Campbell though. Campbell on the basis that Breno will come in January so in the mean time raise some cash and James.......well maybe that was a mistake as i have yet to find a replacement. Formation wise, i haven't settled on anything yet but that'll come in time when i've played a few games.

Players In

Mika Aaritalo - 400k

Kikín Fonseca - 2.5m

Fernando Belluschi - 5m

Johnny Evans - loan

Niklas Barkroth - 450k (compensation)

Lauri Dalla Valle - 35k (compensation)

Breno - 2.5m + 3.3m clauses (1.1.2008)

Stevan Jovetic - 6.5m (1.1.2008)

Lulinha - 2.6 (1.7.2008)

Players Out

David James - 2.3m - Aston Villa

Sol Campbell - 2.2m - Everton

Arnold Mvuemba 1.2m - Sheffield United

Currently trying to offload either Duffy, Wilson or Benjani to make up funds to buy Malafeev, he looks pretty good.

Zarte is a Great Striker, he is on Fire for me in my First Season, 14 in 10 games so far (Esp Good as Utaka Was refusing to score for me icon_frown.gif ) and Sortis Ninis is a Great Option for the Right or AMC.

Felipe is a Great Prospect for a GK Replacment, i use him as my Back-up for James in my Game but im sure with afew games under his Belt he will Grow into a Top GK.

Currently 3rd after 11 GamesHere is who i have Bought Sold:

Players In

Felipe 3.7M Santos GK - Long Term Replacment for James

Mauro Zarate 3.2M Al-Sadd FC - Needed a Striker BAD

Stefan Radu 3M Dinamo Buc. DLC - Replacment for Campbell/ Taylor

Eddie Johnson 2.6M Kansas City FC - Striker Needed

Lulinha 2.6M Corinthians (1/7/08) AMC - Wanted Depth in Position (Use 2 AMC`s in formation)

Ever Banega 2.4M Boca DMC - Needed Quality to play along side Diop

Kevin Monnet-Paquet 1.9M Lens AML FC - Long Term Striker Replacment

Sotiris Ninis 1.9M Panathinaikos AMRC - Needed Strong AM for Formation

Sergio Mota 550k Sao Paulo (1/1/08) AMLC - Long Term Replacment for Kranjar

Alex 130K Vasco (6/1/08) AMRLC FC - Too Good an Offer to Miss

I have not Sold Anyone yet, im VERY Bad at Selling so any Tips would be Apreciated as im trying to offload Ashdown, Benjani, Nugent, Kanu, Songo`o, Hughes, Triore, Heriderson, Duffy and Pamarot for a Start

Decided on keeping the Midfield strong, playing at least three in the middle. Depending on player availability i play 4-1-3(one attacking)-2 or 4-3(flat)-2(wingers)-1. Doing ok. 10th. Strikers have absolutely no form but im creating a ton of chances. Aaritalo and Belluschi have been injured which is a blow. Belluschi is awesome through the middle.

Im 30 games into my first season with the mighty Pompey

So far im 3rd in prem behind Spurs and Chelsea.

In Quarter-Final of Carling cup and Semi-Final of F.A Cup.

Just been given £14.75m add on to my budget so looking for a DC

to replace big Sol Campbell.

Scored 82 goals in all competitions with Defoe scoring 21 goals

and Utaka with 16 assists.

Never had a Red Card

Only had 23 Yellows

Players In

Jermaine Defoe Spurs £7.5m

Jefferson Farfan PSV £6.75m

Charles-Andre Doudin La Chaux-de-Fonds £110k

Sotiris Ninis Panathinaikos £1.7m

Bruno Mazenga Flamengo £2.3m

Iriome Tenerife £1.3m

Vincent Enyeama M.Tel-Aviv £1m

Georginio Wijnaldum Feynoord £240k

Players Out

Djimi Traore Wigan £1m

Noe Pamarot Sunderland £500k

Sean Davis Reading £1.7m

I have a Home Formation and an Away Formation,

Home Formation

4-1-3-2 (Adapted from 4-4-2)

Away Formation

4-2-1-2-1 (Adapted from 4-5-1)

Trying to sign Javier Mascherano from Liverpool while he's

nearing the end of his contract but it wont let me 'Approach to Sign'

Im guessing this has something to do with that bloke who ownes both he and Tevez!!

One little question to ask...

What do you guys think of Paris Cowen-Hall?

I played him in my first team for a Carling Cup game

against Leicester and he looked really good and scored

twice but been trying to keep the same team every week

in the league so don't really get the chance to try him against better opposition.

So frustrating! loads of chances no goals. whats going on? Utaka is usually class. I've said im dissapointed. The press have now questioned his performances so i've said i have confidence in his ability. Aaritalo is finally back. He should be a target man but it's a practically in affective option which is really annoying

Originally posted by EKIMIKE:

Nope, but on the form of my strikers i ought to. I would rather let him continue banging them in for the reserves and U-18's then bring him in when he's a bit older.

Played him against Chelsea and we drew 0-0 but Cech was M.O.M and he managed 5 shots on target out of 8! Rating 8 icon14.gif

Just scored twice against Blackburn in a 3-0 win! icon14.gif

Would suggest starting him in your next home game! icon14.gif

My defence has turned to s**t 4-0 to blackburn after 45 minutes what the hell? I have changed formation to two very defensive mids with belluschi and kranjcar coming in from the wings with some creativeness. How can that make me weaker defensively?

My third scout this season has now been signed form me. Also my brand new fitness coach got poached. Another aspect of the game that is very annoying. Also had clubs trying to get a newly contracted coach and scout but managed to keep them on new deals. Can i not have some decent staff?

1st season, december. Just gave Cowan-Hall his debut as a sub. Nothing as of yet. I took the lead through kranjcar, Playing him and Belluschi as central AMC's i swapped them so they'r eon their favoured sides and all of a sudden Bolton begin slaughtering me. ended 1-1 but i was lucky Malafeev is class.

Originally posted by EKIMIKE:

1st season, december. Just gave Cowan-Hall his debut as a sub. Nothing as of yet. I took the lead through kranjcar, Playing him and Belluschi as central AMC's i swapped them so they'r eon their favoured sides and all of a sudden Bolton begin slaughtering me. ended 1-1 but i was lucky Malafeev is class.

Why dont u just try 4-4-2 att, but bring ur wingers back a bit and change their crossing from mixed to deep?

I had real trouble playing away from home against some of the lower teams but tried going back to basics and it seems to b working!

Archived