Why the game gets easy, a thought

Leaving aside the problems with AI squad building, something occured to me the other day and I'm interested if anyone agrees.

We're all aware that Morale plays a large role in team performance?

We're also aware that team talks can have a devastating (for good or bad) effect on team performance?

Anyone who's holidayed for a couple of weeks with a winning team, or uses the Assman for team talks, can tell you that upon your return a lot of players are unhappy that you "aren't giving the team enough credit".

Now, if you create the perfect Assman who can motivate perfectly, give perfect team talks, is perfect working mentally, and all the things that affect his ability to deal with players, you still get the problem of them asking why a team who hasn't lost for a couple of years "can't play like this every week" or similar.

Soooo. The point. If the bad team talks = bad second half performances and bad morale, and bad morale = dubious results and unhappy players, and unhappy players lead us into a vicious circle, then given that this occurs with the greatest possible Manager/Assman, and the regen system is dodgy enough that hardly any good staff appear, then no wonder all the other teams suck compared to ours.

VB

i wonder if the Ai managers have a different method of giving team talks to our assistants. after all, i dont ever look at AI teams and see there players saying they are upset with manager team talks, only that of human managers.

VonBlade, that's a very interesting thought. I hadn't considered it .. and it certainly could be an issue.

I do hope that there's sufficient variation in manager profiles to give different AI managers different team-talk patterns!

(Aside)

Philly_flyer, that's actually a different issue .. I used to believe the same thing you do, and I've changed my mind.

The effect of morale is tremendous if you have a very young team, leading to extreme streakiness as you describe.

If you have an older team, or at least an older backbone (I have a 36-year-old DC, 30-year-old MC, and 36-year-old ST as my captain material) your team should be much more resistant to patches of poor form.

Further, you can use your team-talks and media handling to ensure that Morale doesn't drop too far. I went on a 20-something-games-without-a-win run with an absolutely terrible team (Vinogradar, in the Croatia Premier League) and managed to keep Morale at Good to Very Good throughout the squad by clever use of team-talks.

(End of aside; we can debate that further in another thread if you like.)

Archived