PC Help

Hey

I know there are several threads like this but I aint exactly brilliant with computers so I was wondering if this computer would be capable of playing a couple of leagues on a huge database at a reasonable speed.

Intel P4 3.0GHZ Processor

1.0GB DDR RAM

80GB SATA HDD

256MB Video Card

6Rear USB Ports

2Front USB Ports

DVD-RW or DVD Burner

Network ready for internet

Windows XP Professional, MS Office 2003, Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, Nero Burner, Excellent working condition.

Hey

I know there are several threads like this but I aint exactly brilliant with computers so I was wondering if this computer would be capable of playing a couple of leagues on a huge database at a reasonable speed.

Intel P4 3.0GHZ Processor

1.0GB DDR RAM

80GB SATA HDD

256MB Video Card

6Rear USB Ports

2Front USB Ports

DVD-RW or DVD Burner

Network ready for internet

Windows XP Professional, MS Office 2003, Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, Nero Burner, Excellent working condition.

If you can get another 1GB if RAM as it does help. I would never get a computer or laptop with less than 2GB RAM. It shouldn't cost much to add.

DDR can be quite expensive... depends where your looking. I would say that is absolutly fine. If you only had 512MB Ram then maybe you would need more but for XP 1GB should easily run it.

DDR is cheap as chips. I'd definately add another gig.

DDR can be quite expensive... depends where your looking. I would say that is absolutly fine. If you only had 512MB Ram then maybe you would need more but for XP 1GB should easily run it.

It should cost about £20 for 1GB of RAM. You might be able to get it cheaper depending on whether you shop at a branded store (ie PC World) or a local computer shop.

Not necessarily. Depends on your computer. :) You may have 2 512MB sticks in there and only 2 slots... which will mean you would have to buy 2 sticks of 1GB so £40 actually. But you might have 2 512MBs with 2 other slots free so could do that if your motherboard allows it :D. Or in the best case you already have a 1GB stick and 1 slot free so all you do is add another GB.

Sorry if i made it sound high in price but DDR2 in comparison is like £10 each so its twice the price so in theory it is expensive :p

PS i don't know if companies install it for free i've always done it myself. They may charge. But there are guides on the net you could easily do it yourself.

Best way for you to find out is go to www.crucial.com and use the scanner and it should tell you whats inside ;) though for some reason it doesn't seem to always succeed with every computer.

Not necessarily. Depends on your computer. :) You may have 2 512MB sticks in there and only 2 slots... which will mean you would have to buy 2 sticks of 1GB so £40 actually. But you might have 2 512MBs with 2 other slots free so could do that if your motherboard allows it :D. Or in the best case you already have a 1GB stick and 1 slot free so all you do is add another GB.

Sorry if i made it sound high in price but DDR2 in comparison is like £10 each so its twice the price so in theory it is expensive :p

PS i don't know if companies install it for free i've always done it myself. They may charge. But there are guides on the net you could easily do it yourself.

If you get it from a local computer store they may even allow you to trade the existing RAM if you have to replace it all. I.e. if you did have 2 x 512Mb in the only 2 slots available, you could trade them in against 2 x 1GB and pay the difference. You will need to check exactly what type of RAM it is if you only need to get a single 1GB chip as they will need to have matching speeds for best performance.

Archived