Championship Prize Money.

I heard £60m in the press irl but you won't get a message in you inbox saying 'Millwall have received £60m due to their playoff success.' The £60m/£80m or whatever it is includes everything you will get the following season like the increase in gate receipts, increase in TV revenue and increase in prize money and so on.

you dont actually get much money for winning the championship (barely any iirc) but the next year you will get about 20 odd million (a couple of mil every month) for tv revenue, and then at the end of the year you will get a bit of money for your final position on the table. Also since you start at later rounds in the cup comps you will get more prize money for completing every round.

I reckon that if you have a stable job (not likely to get sacked even if you are relegated) and you know you wont stay up since your team somehow managed to survive the championship it could sometimes be worth it not to sign any players on big wages and just take the money and run back to the championship :) so you will have a bigger balance and your squad will be more ready for PL standard. Ive never tried this though so it might fail horribly :p

I thought in real life you do get an actual formal payment from the FA for getting promoted...

You get some prize money, but the £50m you hear bandied about is simply a theoretical value on getting promoted.

Archived