newbie Q about substitutions

In a game match, I have substituted for players. But I want to put them back into the game. I thought this was legal in soccer. But when I try to put them in, nothing happens. Can someone explain?

I am new to both soccer and football manager game.

Also, is there an easy way to get a list of the best players separated from the least players? I sort the list on valuation, but valuation doesn't necessarilly seem to match player ability. I guess that has something to do with contract length or player's development progress? I would sort on player stars, but my scouts have only assigned ratings for a few players. Anyway, any explanations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

No, in soccer you can't put back on subs once a player comes off he stays off.

There is no easy way you can get a list of the best players as in soccer it takes a lot of work through scouting to find them and the game reflects this. You could always 'cheat', though by using utilities like Genie Scout.

Hope that helps.

You are gonna love it! :D

Nowhere else I would rather be

In bed with Keeley Hazell and Lucy Pinder? ;)

These threads might be helpful

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=9147

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=17716

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=32364

and check the stickies in Tactics and Training Forum for other help.

In relation to your questions

If you are just starting the game then sorting by value is the easiest way but be aware that certain positions tend to have higher valuations as the game progresses due to it being linked to match ratings and these being heavily biased towards goals and assists, hence strikers and attacking midfielders generally cost the most.

Player ability is quite complex and in many respects depends on what you want a player to do. The input into the match engine is the player attributes so have a read of the manual (page 37 onwards) and apply some common sense with regards to their descriptions and what you want from a player. But be aware all rounders are a very rare breed e.g.

- a striker who is fast (acceleration, pace, agility), technically competent (finishing, technique, dribbling, heading) and can compete in the air (jumping, strength)

- a defender who is both fast and good in the air

- a central midfielder that can do his defensive duties well (positioning, tackling, marking, concentration, bravery, determination) and can contribute in creating chances (passing, technique, anticipation, creativity, decisions) as well as finishing chances (finishing, technique, composure, long shots)

On the patched game attribute distribution has changed and a heavier weighting has been given to a player's weaker foot. In a player's profile click on positions and you will be given a worded rating of how strong a player's lesser foot is. What this means in general judgement of a player is this:-

- Players have a hidden attribute called Current Ability (CA).

- Current Ability acts as a regulator of how high attributes can be as well as their balance.

- The weaker foot is part of this equation and hence 'consumes' CA points.

- When you get a scout report/staff report on a player this hidden variable is part of the algorithm that determines what the report will say with respect to Current Ability.

- Combining all of these you may find a player with lesser attributes for a given position (say a striker it would be finishing, composure, technique, off the ball) having a higher rating in a staff report because of his stronger weaker foot.

- Physical attributes acceleration, pace, agility and balance also carry a higher weighting in the CA model which again means players with high values in these areas can have poor attributes in others but still get a strong recommendation from your staff.

The thing with this game is that there are no set rules. As an example in a 442 the side midfield players are called wingers. If I have two players as strikers who are strong in the air and can dominate most opponent's centre backs, then all I am going to set up to do is to get my wingers to run down the line and get in a cross. This will happen predominantly on his stronger foot thus if I look at two players

Left Winger 1:-

Dribbling 17

Crossing 19

Right Foot: Very Weak

Left Winger 2:-

Dribbling 16

Crossing 12

Right Foot: Reasonable

Now assuming all other attributes that matter are roughly the same (acceleration, pace, agility, balance, flair, technique) and their CA is roughly the same then chances are the coach reports/scout reports might tell me Left Winger 2 is a better player. But my set up means the weaker foot is largely irrelevant for what I want the winger to do i.e. bomb down the wing and get in a cross for the big men up front. Hence for me I go for Left Winger 1 despite what my scouts/staff say.

But if I want my winger to be more varied in what he does so instead of just bombing down the wings I want him to cut inside and look for a shot or through ball, or I want him to get directly involved in build up play so that he doesn't just pick up a pass and immediately attack the full back. In this case his right foot strength may be more important so I might go for Left Winger 2.

You can apply the same thinking to all positions

- a centre back with 19 for tackling but a very weak left foot may get beaten to his left side more easily or be more prone to giving up free kicks due to his lesser ability to tackle on that side

- a central midfielder with a very weak weaker foot will tend to move the ball to his strongest foot and you will generally see in watching full matches that he tends to pass to his stronger foot side. It also means he will be more likely to take the extra touch and get caught in possession

- a striker with a very weak weaker foot can be quite easy to neutralise if he hasn't got the skill to get away from the opposition defender and manouevre the ball onto his stronger foot. So a slow one footed striker with no dribbling skill may get a lot of shots but his shots on target stats and/or conversion ratio might not be great if the opposition defender is set up to force him onto his weaker foot.

On the other hand I currently have a right foot only striker who is banging in the goals. I watch him in match and his strength is in his Acceleration (20), Pace (16) and Dribbling (19) all of which mean he can get away from the defender to switch it onto his stronger foot, plus he runs on to alot of through balls which means defenders rarely get the chance to impose a 'show onto weaker foot' instruction.

That's my little essay on the weaker foot affecting staff reports re player ability and how tactics/scenarios will dictate whether or not a strong weaker foot matters :D

In bed with Keeley Hazell and Lucy Pinder? ;)

Well, I wouldn't say no, but I would ask for the footie to be on as well :p

To the OP, nothing else really needs to said here, follow isuckatfm's advice and you should be well on your way to getting addicted to FM like the majority of posters on here

Good luck and, most importantly, enjoy your career on FM

Thanks much, isuckatfm! That helps a great deal.

It seems this game has a lot more depth than I initially thought. There is a lot of strategy and things to think about. I'm sure all this will help keep the game interesting for more play time.

Archived