AC Milan Scouts - Completely Useless?

Anyone else been Milan before? Im not using any patch and im playing a network game with my mate, all my scouts so far are recommending me only half decent players, some even laughable and a couple I would actually consider signing. Anyone else find the scouts are equally as useless?

I think Id rather get recommendations from you lot on here tbh.

Yeah check your orders. Scouts like Desailly are the dogs...

That said have you seen the reserves and youth players they have at that club...they would struggle to hget in the Rochdale first eleven most of them....shocking!

A couple things may be going on for you:

1. If you're scouting inactive nations on a smaller DB, there may not be many players there. There's a big difference between Brazil when the first division is active, and Brazil when the entire nation is inactive. If that's the case, I recommend scouting *regions* (South America) rather than nations, and don't bother sending more than one scout to the same region.

2. If you're setting parameters (left-footed left wingers under the age of 19!) stop it - I find its much more effective to sort through the players my scouts recommend, myself: the parameters don't change the number of players that they look at, it just causes them not to mention the absolutely stunning player that they spotted who doesn't match your parameters.

3. Reputation overload - if you've won everything for a couple years, your reputation may have reached the point where your scouts don't think *anybody* is worth signing .. and honestly, they may be right if you have a world-beater team already. ;)

4. Make sure to have them scouting areas that they're familiar with. If you don't have any scouts familiar with South America, it can take a while to build up sufficient "knowledge" about the country to start finding good players.

5. If all else fails, just have them scout active nations.

6. Make sure you have each scout scouting a Nation and a Competition. Competition scouting tends to yield a lot fewer players, but they're usually pretty solid quality-wise, in my experience. I try to have scouts looking at the Champions League, Serie A, EPL, etc .. but it can also be very useful to have scouts looking at various Reserve leagues to find out-of-favour players on the cheap.

So for example if I had an English scout and a Scottish scout with exactly the same stats. Obvisouly the English scout knows the English leagues and the Scottish one knows the Scotish ones. If I send the English one north of the border and he slowly raises his knowledge of those leagues will he start to find better players or is it just better to find a scout who already knows the leagues?

Guest roberto922

long term it helps your scouts knowledge, short term you'll get better results off the scot I think,I'm not too sure if scout knowledge only ties in with how many players from a country have their attributes masked.

That's an interesting example.

I believe that the English scout will do decently north of the border because the *clubs* knowledge of Scotland is extremely high .. thanks to the Scottish scout.

If you sacked the Scotland scout, then sent the English scout north of the border, he would find very few players, but would increase his knowledge of Scotland, so he'd do better on a second trip.

Sending a scout to a "Region" will build his knowledge for every country in that region .. so, for example, you might send your England scout to "UK & Ireland" and he would find you English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish players, while increasing his knowledge of Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.

For a long-term game, I find it perfectly worthwhile to send somebody with no knowledge to a new region (South America!) .. I have very low expectations of his first trip or three, but eventually he will build up the knowledge about that region, and start to identify more players for me. It doesn't really seem to kick into gear until a year or two down the line, though.

Note also that your scout will "forget" if you stop sending him there. So, for example, if I sent a guy to Brazil and South America, alternating, for three years ... and then for the next three years I sent him touring Africa ... by the end of the three years, he'd have forgotten about all of the South America countries except Brazil, and his Brazil knowledge would be well below the half-way point.

Scouts don't forget their "home nations", so your England scout isn't going to forget about England no matter how long you keep him in exile. ;)

Note also that other Staff (you personally, your Assistant Manager, your coaches) add to the club's Knowledge of a country, and that the parent club automatically inherits all Knowledge from any feeder clubs. So hiring a coach from a nation, or finding a feeder club in a nation, can dramatically help your scouting efforts there. Or you might want to give your next manager a "second nationality" so that he's familiar with a country you want to scout in.

Cheers for the info.

The thing is, the scouts arent assigned, they just keep randomly recommending players after theyve played matches, how can i stop them doing this?

Some examples of who theyve said i should go for: Totti, Trezeguet, Quagliarella (just becoz hes 2nd in top scorers atm), etc.

Just because hes second top scorer? Are you serious? to win football games you need to score goals.

So you need a scout to tell you whos in the top scorers list? i dont need a scout to tell me whos in the top scorers list, theyre meant to be offering me advice on un-heard of players with little reputation.

You dont need to be a genius to work out whos the most expensive, whos got the best stats in the game, whos scored the most goals, etc.

A couple things may be going on for you:

1. If you're scouting inactive nations on a smaller DB, there may not be many players there. There's a big difference between Brazil when the first division is active, and Brazil when the entire nation is inactive. If that's the case, I recommend scouting *regions* (South America) rather than nations, and don't bother sending more than one scout to the same region.

2. If you're setting parameters (left-footed left wingers under the age of 19!) stop it - I find its much more effective to sort through the players my scouts recommend, myself: the parameters don't change the number of players that they look at, it just causes them not to mention the absolutely stunning player that they spotted who doesn't match your parameters.

3. Reputation overload - if you've won everything for a couple years, your reputation may have reached the point where your scouts don't think *anybody* is worth signing .. and honestly, they may be right if you have a world-beater team already. ;)

4. Make sure to have them scouting areas that they're familiar with. If you don't have any scouts familiar with South America, it can take a while to build up sufficient "knowledge" about the country to start finding good players.

5. If all else fails, just have them scout active nations.

6. Make sure you have each scout scouting a Nation and a Competition. Competition scouting tends to yield a lot fewer players, but they're usually pretty solid quality-wise, in my experience. I try to have scouts looking at the Champions League, Serie A, EPL, etc .. but it can also be very useful to have scouts looking at various Reserve leagues to find out-of-favour players on the cheap.

Id like to add that it also depends on the attributes of your scouts and their abilities especially determination, ability and potential plus their level of knowledge.

I find it useful to send the same scout to the same region. Just keep restarting.

Again, its not that i have a problem with the scouting side, it bugs me wen they recommend players after matches played that i already know about and have huge reputation, i.e, Totti.

Archived