Player eligibility for national team?

So I have this Brazilian kid who I bought a fair few years ago and loaned him out to other clubs (in italy) and he's now part of my first team squad. He's had one cap for Brazil (as shown in the pic below) and he has Italian citizenship also due to being in the country for 5 years.

Just recently he's been called up to the Italy squad despite having played for Brazil, am I missing something or is this a bug because I didn't think this was allowed?

Joab.jpg

The relevant current FIFA statute, Article 17: Acquisition of a new nationality, states:[19]

Any Player who ... [assumes] a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match ... in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one Association] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association; (b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association; © His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

(d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

—FIFA Statutes

First hit on google shows this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_football_player_by_capped_by_two_countries

"In rare circumstances. If a player has dual naionality, and is capped in a non "A" competitive game (so a friendly basically) he can they change his allegiance once. But only once. A recent example would be Italy's Thiago Motta, who has 2 full caps for Brazil, having played in the Gold Cup for them. (As guest nation this counted as a friendly tournament)."

Definitely the case. I had a guy in my City who played for the US, before playing for England, even winning the World Cup, but then going back to the US again (he was an unused sub during the WC)

Archived