Refused improved offer - unhappy because no movement on an improved deal is made?

Down in the low leagues I have a problem with player conversations. I have a low wage budget, and my players are - admittably, not payed according to their abilities. Which I cannot do, because my wage budget are just a fraction of clubs in the league (with the same attendance as me, so who knows where they get their money from).

As manager here I do not have the option to say thay I cannot offer improved deals as I am on my wage budget (and I have a bunch of players that demand salarys that would eat up more than a quarter of my budget), so I have to keep refusing to talk, or to transfer list them (which we end up with regularly, although there never is any options for them so they leave after season).

But I wonder. They ask for improved deals, and at the end of the season I promised a couple of players that they would receive an offer. There I tried to made them extend their contract for one more year, for twice and three times their current pay respectively. Both were not pleased. Which, again, is all fair. But then they come back to me complaining there has still been no movement on an improved deal?

Which I find a stupid accusations since they just declined a rather big pay rise (in relative terms). And there is no sensible answers available:

- I have not thought i through and want to make them a new offer within a month.

- I see no point in giving them a last warning about demanding a new contract, since they have been offered and declined.

- I do not see the point of tranfer-listing them because they complain about not having received something they they have received

- And I would hardly call them umprofessional because they should wait to a new conctact is offered to them, since I have already agreed to offer them new deals...

So while I like the chat possibility to some extent - I often end up with situations with no meaningful questions or answers. This seems to be more typical when in the low leagues, though,

I agree with you. As I usually start my yearly save with a team in the very low leagues, this is a regular occurrence. While I see why they're wanting a pay increase, I just can't justify why they want to go from £20pw to £550 a week!

Oh no, this guy went from £100 per week to wanting £3200 per week, plus £6k loyalty bonus and £25.5k agents fee, and a release clause of £100k, 25% promotion wage rise, match highest earner clause and some other things I can't remember. Anyhow, I thought my reserves could use a good striker, he's got 2 years to run on that original deal!

The "broken promise" feature doesn't work properly.

My favourite will always be on time when I "promised" a player that he'd be more involved in the first team right before the Hungary winter break, and by the end of it, no games having been played, that I'd broken that promise. Long story short it was a long 4 years training with the reserves for that particular player.

I've had the problem with silly wage demands too (FM 2010), and the fun thing is that my player not only wanted a massive pay rise on being promoted - no, he wanted to be the top earning player in the new division. He wasn't even that good.

Upshot of which was he left the club, no one signed him for his ridiculous wage demands and he instead became a useless scout no one wanted either. That was the end of his "career" (and he was only 30).

It'd be nice if players could be somewhat reasonable, i.e. not demand wages that even the AI thinks aren't worth paying. I'd also like the option to say "this is all board will let me spend, I'd offer more if I could" when making a take it or leave it offer.

So, in this imperfect world om FM2012 player interaction, how do you deal with the circumstances?

Sjm: I would also like to have such an option. I guess it need to be available only when you are on the limit. I would gladly see an option to accept they should be allowed to leave in a transfer deal if the player can get a significantly better deal there. But now we are just ******* each other off in lack of reasonable alternatives in the chat. In my scenario my wage budget is £3500 a year, being a semi-professional club in a very low league. I have a few part-timers, who are paid £250 a year, but their demands are starting in the range £1500-4500. That won't do. So these players leave after theire one-year contract is out, and a few of them finds better deals somewhere. A couple of other stay on rolling contracts, while I need to bring in amateur and youth players to fill up the squad. I don't complain about that, because I am losing money even when keeping this wage budget. But the added misery of unhappy players seems unreasonable.

Well, now that player won't even discuss a new contract, but he's so unhappy that one hasn't been offered that a team mate and the club's vice-captain has decided I'm treating him unfairly... I can't even offer him the deal he's demanding!

Archived