Sex up the News Reel!

I've signed big names in the game, and for a pretty penny. But all you get in the news reel is "Shirt sales set to boost".

IRL: I remember when Man Utd bought Ruud VanNistleroy and Veron - the news story was that "Players applauded when the new signings arrived at the training ground for their first training session". I still remember that story to this day -

I really think news items need to be sexed up when you break the bank to sign players. The news items are so dry and boring. It gets very tedious after a while.

I also propose that news items vary - this could be done with the patches they release. When they release a patch you get an addition to the news items.

In FM11 I bought a player for €157m and I don't think there was a whiff of it in the news items at all.

In the WIKI pages it has for VanN

Van Nistelrooy signed a five-year contract after passing his medical.[4] He downplayed United's £19 million investment to reporters, saying "The price is not heavy for me – it lifts me up because it means United have big confidence in me."[

For Veron it has

"Questions over his performance led to an expletive laden tirade against the media by manager Sir Alex Ferguson in support of Verón: "...On you go. I'm not ****ing talking to you. He's a ****ing great player. You are all ****ing idiots.".[13] However, fans and pundits alike agreed that the signing was an expensive flop.[14]"

For Alan Shearer

Shearer was soon subject to a British transfer record-breaking £3.3million bid from Blackburn Rovers.[14] Although there was also interest from Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson, Blackburn benefactor Jack Walker's millions were enough to prise the striker from the Saints, and Shearer moved north to Ewood Park in the summer of 1992.[

and

After Euro 96, Manchester United again sought to sign Shearer, and entered the battle for his signature. Shearer stated he came close to signing for the club after extended talks with United manager Alex Ferguson. Eventually both Manchester United and Newcastle United agreed fees with Blackburn Rovers and Shearer was all set to move to Manchester United but then at the last second Kevin Keegan requested one last audience with Shearer and persuaded him that his future lay at St. James Park. On 30 July 1996, for a world transfer record-breaking £15 million Shearer joined his hometown club and league runners-up Newcastle United, managed by his hero Kevin Keegan

CR7

On 26 June 2009, Real Madrid confirmed that Ronaldo would join the club on 1 July 2009 from Manchester United for £80 million,[68] after agreeing terms and signing a six-year contract.[69] Ronaldo's contract is worth €11 million per year[4] and it has a €1 billion buy-out clause.[70] He was presented to the world media as a Real Madrid player on 6 July,[71] where he was handed the number 9 jersey.[72] The shirt was presented to him by Madrid legend Alfredo Di Stéfano.[73] Ronaldo was welcomed by 80,000 fans at his presentation at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, surpassing Diego Maradona's record of 75,000 fans when he was presented in Italy, after he was transferred from Barcelona to Napoli in 1984.[

To me - these are all great news stories. And for me would make the game a lot more exciting.

For Instance - when I signed Neymar for Barcelona it would have been great to have a news story like:

Neymar has completed a Brazil record transfer fee of €50m to sign for Barcelona on a €6m a year deal. He joins from Brazil champions Santos where he learned his trade from an early age. Neymar has said it was his dream to play with his idols Linoell Messi and Thiago Silva and he could not pass the chance to play for Barcelona. On arriving at the club he received the no. 9 shirt from club legend and personal hero Evaristo de Macedo who played from 1957 to 1962 scoring 78 goals from 114 appearances. Neymar said it was an honour to meet his hero and thanked the club and fans for their support. It was a particular joy for the players who applauded his arrival at the clubs training ground, club captain Carlos Puyol has said it was an extraordinary capture for the club to sign a player of Neymar's qualities and it shows the ambition the club has going forward.

Neymar is playing down his record transfer saying that he plans to pay every cent of it back with his performances on the pitch.

I've signed big names in the game, and for a pretty penny. But all you get in the news reel is "Shirt sales set to boost".

IRL: I remember when Man Utd bought Ruud VanNistleroy and Veron - the news story was that "Players applauded when the new signings arrived at the training ground for their first training session". I still remember that story to this day -

I really think news items need to be sexed up when you break the bank to sign players. The news items are so dry and boring. It gets very tedious after a while.

I also propose that news items vary - this could be done with the patches they release. When they release a patch you get an addition to the news items.

In FM11 I bought a player for €157m and I don't think there was a whiff of it in the news items at all.

In the WIKI pages it has for VanN

For Veron it has

For Alan Shearer

and

CR7

To me - these are all great news stories. And for me would make the game a lot more exciting.

For Instance - when I signed Neymar for Barcelona it would have been great to have a news story like:

A good idea yeah but as Jedman mentioned it would get repetivitve after a while

As I said - only for Marquee signings.

Signings that are records for a country. Like if I bought a player for €20m then it wouldn't be as detailed. You wouldn't get 80,000 people flocking to see them.

For example

- the highest transfer for a teenager

- transfer record for nation

- transfer record for nationality (say paying €30m for a player from Honduras)

etc.

You'd have to trigger a milestone for them to come up. Your stadium gets filled with fans wanting to see him being unveiled. Your team applauds his arrival at training. Captain speaks up about the progress the club is making and how it's a boost (could give other players morale boost etc.)

And if a player is playing below the average he was getting at his old club the MEDIA could lable him a flop and you could go all Alex Ferguson on them and tell them to shut up etc.

It would be also nice to see messages like

"Eugene Tyson has captured the signature of Thiago Silva from AC Milan for a record transfer fee in Italy of €40m. He fought off stiff competition from mega-rich Man City and big spenders Chelsea to capture his signature. Thiago Silva stated that it was in meeting Eugene Tyson and the plans he has to utilise him as Indispensable to the club along with guaranteed Champions League football for the season that swayed his opinion. Thiago Silva also is quoted as saying he spoke to close friend Ronaldo who played for Barcelona in 1996-1997 that it was a fantastic club with high ambitions and high expectations, and that was the sort of challenge Thiago Silva was after"

Oh and in addition to above, it could be that when you play against the teams you had to fight off for Thiago Silva for example, there would be a news item speculating whether he made the right decision, how he is feeling playing against the club he could have played for, etc.

It would be nice to see a bit of a deal made out of it.

I like your idea, say if I was playing Man City in the Champs League and I won, then it could come up that

"Champions League action saw Barcelona square off against Man City. Barcelona won the game 2-0 at the Nou Camp to give them a good advantage in the away leg. Thiago Silva was quoted after the match saying passionately that he 100% did the right thing in signing for Barcelona."

This could give the team a boost in morale if needed or something.

or if I lost

"Champions League action saw Barcelona square off against Man City. Barcelona lost the game 0-1 at the Nou Camp which gives them a disadvantage in the away leg. Thiago Silva was quoted after the match that cautiouslysaying he did the right thing in signing for Barcelona."

This could damage team morale further.

It could go further - in that he might say that "even though we lost I am certain that joining Barcelona was the right move".

Well can't be that hard to put some text together around the data.

They already have a template - just to jazz them up.

I know there's more important things to do with the actual game play. But when I sign a big player it feels kinda empty; especially when I smash the club record or something.

If I went smaller and into my Hereford save where I got promoted to the premier division and now in the Champions League. And signing a player for a club record fee of say €20m.

It would be nice that the captain was a bit more outspoken about marquee signings, morales get raised in the squad etc. The press latch on to it saying that

"Hereford came from humble beginnings and in the first two seasons had no cash to buy players where manager Eugene Tyson signed players on Free Transfers, today they have recorded their most expensive signing in the clubs history, club captain John Doe has posted on Twitter saying 'Incredible signing can't wait for training tomorrow'. There was a nice crowd to greet Mister X as the club held an open training session, Mister X arrived to a rapturous applause from his new team mates and the fans."

They need to let us edit them, like have a drop down then we interpret the wording of them and provide our own way to describe the event.

For example, in game there's a news headline 'England defeat in FIFA World Cup 2nd Round', yet we could use 'England Crash out of World Cup'.

etc...

Great ideas. I don't know about editing them ourselves? Perhaps that is an option? There could be dedicated fans out there willing to perhaps supply "News Reels". You could then download them and edit them as you want.

I remember years ago being able to edit the commentary files.

That's why I was saying - perhaps new News Reels could come with patches. Just some witty stuff. There's plenty of real life events to pick from, and actual news headlines that were used before that can switched around etc.

It would be a lot more fun to big name signings. I do be over the moon when I make a big name signing, then the News item is very disappointing.

It would be nice to say have "As Neymar lined up for his first match at Nou Camp club captain Carlos Puyol ushered him to the start of the line so he appeared first on the pitch. This was to the delight of the crowd who gave the young Brazilian striker a standing ovation"

^^^ I don't know if that happens IRL.

Or things like "The crowd was buzzing electric before the start at of the game as the teams warmed up all eyes were on Thiago Silva as he received a warm welcome from the fans who traveled to the bumper sell out match."

Or things like "Barcelona squared off against Real Sociedad today, a match which usually draws about 70,000 fans to the Nou Camp. However, the stadium was packed to capacity as fans flocked to see new signing Neymar in his home debut. Neymar had a good game getting on the score sheet and setting up another, much the the joy of the faithful Nou Camp fans"

Archived