Team selection for Reserve team

I've had a search and can't find this, but I'm wondering if in FM12 you can hand over control of the reserve team to your AssMan but still select the starting XI?

No

If you want any kind of control over who plays where in the Reserves (and youth team too), then you have to take direct control. That is what I do with my Reserves. Very annoying.

It should be possible to put certain players in the Tactics screen in a position, and then that should force the AssMan/Coach to use that player there. They would of course be free to substitute them. I think this was possible in one of the older versions of FM, but it doesn't work anymore, and haven't for some time.

Removing the ability(workaround) that allowed you to select players in certain positions without added an option to ask your reserve/youth manager to give player x more playing time was a poor oversight on SI's part.

Removing the ability(workaround) that allowed you to select players in certain positions without added an option to ask your reserve/youth manager to give player x more playing time was a poor oversight on SI's part.

I agree .. it is especially annoying when you take on trialists during the season, and you can't even be sure that he will play them. Also when you want to re-train someone to a new position. Your AssMan will most likely only play him in his normal position and not in the position you want him to learn.

I don't mind taking control over a few select games during the season, but I don't feel a particular need to oversee every single game they play just to make sure certain players get play time in the positions I want them.

It is annoying isn't it. Many reasons for having this. You may want game time for a first teamer coming back from injury. You may want to train a player in a new position. If I want reserve games one day after the other the AssMan picks roughly the same team for the next match when I want others given game time. Some players like third choice 'keepers never get game time.

You can save line-ups in FM and would love to save Reserve1 and Reserve2 to make things quicker, but its crazy this option isn't there.

• 4 months later...

I can't understand why this was removed. It used to be in, then they took it out for a few years, and then it made a sneaky comeback. Now, it's gone and I have no idea why. If I'm re-training a player into a new position, I want him to play in that role in the reserves. More often than not, the Ass-man picks some U19 player in his place instead.

Archived