Once again..."declared for nation"

Why is this still in the game? How can a player "declare" for a nation if it's the only available option? For example, there's a solid Brazilian free agent named Leumir that I brought into my Toronto FC squad in FM11, and he went on to have a highly successful career with the Canadian national team. Fast forward to FM12 and Leumir's still on the free agent list...only now he has declared to play for Brazil. What sense does that make? A player can say "I'll only play for x nation," until he's blue in the face, but the simple fact of the matter is that he can't officially "declare" to play for one nation until he actually has a choice to make. Not to mention the fact that, as good as he is, he'll never come close to making the Brazilian squad. It's ridiculous to see players spurn the opportunity to play for another nation down the road even though they have zero chance of playing for their home nation.

The status should be reevaluated upon getting a new citizenship.

One thing I came across playing in Croatia (where there's only 2 years to gain citizenship), were players that already had dual nationality. I.e. Dimitri Payet has French and Reunionese passports and is declared for France. He never got picked for France when playing for me, and his status made him impossible for selection for Croatia. The same happened with Toloi and others that were declared for a nation.

I wouldn't mind seeing players "undeclare" once they reach a certain age if they haven't got called up, similar to how the "is only looking to play for Country X at this time" works.

For example Jonathan de Guzman was born in Canada, declared for Holland but now that he's 25 and it doesn't look like he'll get called by them, he's attempting to get his Canadian passport back to play for Canada.

On a somewhat similar note (more Canada examples!), I'd also like to see a status where the player doesn't want to get involved with international football to further his club career, especially if he is playing in a different continent. The example here is Junior Hoilett, who is debating between Jamaica, Canada and then possibly waiting until 2013 to be England-eligible as well. I don't know how common that is though.

Its not ridiculous by any means a lot of players will only want to play for the country they are born in.

Like I said, it's fine if they only want to play for a specific country, but it's technically impossible to "declare" for that country unless there's another choice available. It's also unrealistic that a player with no hope of being called into their preferred national squad would automatically rule out playing for any other before they've ever even left the country. I could easily say that I'd only play for the USA...but if I were to spend two years in Croatia (as a previous poster mentioned) and the Croation head coach mentioned that he'd like me to suit up for them, I'd have to think long and hard about it. At the very least, the game shouldn't automatically shut the door on such situations by having such an odd (and broken) feature.

Archived