Turning round a manager promise...

Hi All,

I've had a search and I'm struggling to find any help on this one...

I'm managing Darlington and after getting promoted to League 2 i strengthened up the goalkeeping department... my second choice keeper was getting fed up so I promised him I'd let him go because I didn't want him damaging the team morale. My first choice keeper hit some rough form and the backup started getting games and consequently playing fantastic. He is now definite first choice and his morale is sky high but he is still expecting to leave... I want to be able to tell him I don't want to let him go and he's now the main man but I don't have any options to talk to him within the player interaction.

Is it just a case of waiting for him to come to me or is there something I'm missing?

Hope this makes sense!

D

Just wait. This happened to me too. The guy was unhappy at the amount of players in the team so I told him I would sell a few. He was happy. I never sold a few though, never sold anyone. 1st September he requested a transfer, I rejected it, he became unhappy and wanted a chat. I told him I thought the club had a great future and wanted him to be apart of that. He disagreed. So I assertively told him to stop being unprofessional. He apologised and things have been great since.

Just wait. This happened to me too. The guy was unhappy at the amount of players in the team so I told him I would sell a few. He was happy. I never sold a few though, never sold anyone. 1st September he requested a transfer, I rejected it, he became unhappy and wanted a chat. I told him I thought the club had a great future and wanted him to be apart of that. He disagreed. So I assertively told him to stop being unprofessional. He apologised and things have been great since.

That reaction is however to be seen with the (hidden) personality attributes of this guy and, sadly, no blueprint for an ever successful way of dealing with this issue.

Also find it a bit daft when you promise someone you'll send them out on loan, and despite putting them on the loan list, offering to pay all his wages, no fee, can play in cup games etc, nobody comes in for him and I can't send him out on loan because of it, and then he whinges because you've not sent him out on loan, when there's nothing you can do about it.

Archived