FMH 2012 iOS Matches in full or just highlights?

• SI Staff
Anyone has any idea if for us as players, will we be able to watch the FMH 2012 iOS Matches in full or just highlights after the match is over? Surely we will be able watch the match in full since we can make tactical changes and such along in the match when the match is ongoing?

At present you can't watch the games after the match is over - the reason is simply that if we sampled the entire match to disk (so it could be replayed) then it'd take up a quite a bit of storage space and on handheld devices this can often be limited.

Its for this reason that we presently only allow you to view 'snapshot' information on previous matches (ie. overview page with scorers etc.) ... as things go forward and devices evolve this might change obviously.

At present you can't watch the games after the match is over - the reason is simply that if we sampled the entire match to disk (so it could be replayed) then it'd take up a quite a bit of storage space and on handheld devices this can often be limited.

Its for this reason that we presently only allow you to view 'snapshot' information on previous matches (ie. overview page with scorers etc.) ... as things go forward and devices evolve this might change obviously.

Cant we see all the highlights like goals and near misses, fouls, freekicks, cards given through bad tackles etc?

Not knowing anything about the internal workings of iOS or C, C+ or whatever is needed, how many lightyears, Marc, would you say are we away of having a CM 03/04 style ME on iOS or any other portable of your choice?

• SI Staff
Not knowing anything about the internal workings of iOS or C, C+ or whatever is needed, how many lightyears, Marc, would you say are we away of having a CM 03/04 style ME on iOS or any other portable of your choice?

Depends entirely how fast devices evolve - I'd expect at least a few years away tbh, but time will tell (I've been wrong before and undoubtably will be again ;) ).

Other developers managed to have full games in 3D on these same devices with iOS...it's a pity that SI is still working with outdated technology. Sorry SI for being so harsh, but wake up.

Depends entirely how fast devices evolve - I'd expect at least a few years away tbh, but time will tell (I've been wrong before and undoubtably will be again ;) ).

But then, weren't the system requirements for 03/04 more modest than what could an iPad 2 deliver?

• SI Staff
But then, weren't the system requirements for 03/04 more modest than what could an iPad 2 deliver?

Its impossible to compare a desktop computer (or laptop) against a tablet/mobile device - the processors in mobile devices are designed very differently and in the main to be as energy efficient as possible in comparison to a desktop, this comes at a performance cost.

Don't get me started on the fact that they market their devices/processors in such a manner that people think they're as powerful as desktop devices ... yes I know some mobile devices are going to be 'quad core' in the future etc. .... what you probably don't realise is that I used to work on hugely scalar multi-processor systems before I went into the games industry (nearly 20 odd years ago).

To give you a comparison of how things can sound better than they really are ... the systems I worked on then were hugely expensive (quite a few million quid for a simulator), they consisted of several racks of processors all designed to work in tandem and provide enough processing to render advanced 3d projection graphics for Flight Simulators for pilots to train upon, most systems comprised of 2 racks each containing 32 processors - that is a 64 processor computer.

The 'power' of this awesome beast in todays terms .... pretty feeble tbh I'd expect your average desktop computer would be able to rip it to shreds, the processors were 88k Motorolla chips and not particularly powerful individually and when you scaled them up it wasn't a straight multiple effect for increasing processing power ..... bet it sounded good to you when I explained it initially though ;)

Other developers managed to have full games in 3D on these same devices with iOS...it's a pity that SI is still working with outdated technology. Sorry SI for being so harsh, but wake up.

Most games don't run the amount of processing FMH does. FIFA can run 3D as the game isn't processing that much information for statistics etc. I'm sure it is possible FMH can include a 3D ME but viability wise it isn't the best idea as it will sacrifice many features and statistics to be able to cope with it, also would mean a lot more restarting of your device and crashes.

Its impossible to compare a desktop computer (or laptop) against a tablet/mobile device - the processors in mobile devices are designed very differently and in the main to be as energy efficient as possible in comparison to a desktop, this comes at a performance cost.

Don't get me started on the fact that they market their devices/processors in such a manner that people think they're as powerful as desktop devices ... yes I know some mobile devices are going to be 'quad core' in the future etc. .... what you probably don't realise is that I used to work on hugely scalar multi-processor systems before I went into the games industry (nearly 20 odd years ago).

To give you a comparison of how things can sound better than they really are ... the systems I worked on then were hugely expensive (quite a few million quid for a simulator), they consisted of several racks of processors all designed to work in tandem and provide enough processing to render advanced 3d projection graphics for Flight Simulators for pilots to train upon, most systems comprised of 2 racks each containing 32 processors - that is a 64 processor computer.

The 'power' of this awesome beast in todays terms .... pretty feeble tbh I'd expect your average desktop computer would be able to rip it to shreds, the processors were 88k Motorolla chips and not particularly powerful individually and when you scaled them up it wasn't a straight multiple effect for increasing processing power ..... bet it sounded good to you when I explained it initially though ;)

Well, aren't you actually confirming that an iPad 2 or 3 then is almost the same as a desktop almost 10 years ago if multi stellar orbital computers of the past are outdone by supermarket desktop computer of 2011? Flight Simulation....another hobby of mine :D

Archived