Part-time team in the Football League

I took over Welling in January of the first season, I took them from 15th to the play-off final but lost to Woking. The next season I comfortably won the league. I have just finished my third season and ended up winning the FA Trophy and play-off final - both against Wrexham.

I'm not sure how I won promotion, I don't have a regular goalscorer and I never seemed to be playing great football like the season before but I creeped into 5th and stormed the play-offs quite easily.

What I'm wondering is how part-time teams will get on in the League? Does your board change you to professional automatically (the option is greyed out when I'm in the boardroom) or do you stay part-time.

My budget will be tiny compared to some of the teams in League 2 and I'm fully expecting to get thrashed on a weekly basis!

Clubs who gain promotion from the Blue Square Premier, automatically go full-time as they don't have a choice. If it hasn't happened yet, give it time. Usually, I think it happens when you get your budgets for the new season. In regards to your budget, you'll find that you may or may not struggle. If your sides determined then they may be more willing to try and get promoted again. Even if they're not, the fact that they got promotion may work in their favour as they'll still be on a high from that. Your board won't be expecting any miracles, or shouldn't, so just enjoy the season and you may be suprised.

Morale should be a factor in your teams favour, especially if you know how they tick and how to manipulate the team talk functions. The quality of teams isn't much greater than the BSP, just like in real life, so if you can make some shrewd signings you could mount a challenge for the playoffs at least.

Archived