Stupid wage demands.

Now as manager of league 1 Huddersfield im all for sending my players to pastures new if a bigger and better come in for them. Once they have gone my attention turns to Lge 2, BSBP and BSN/S.

Get two or three scouts out and about to give young non league guys a shot, normally not a problem until now. End of the 5th season went in for a BSBP left winger from Bristol Rovers. This player was released from Chelsea a year before and snapped up by Rovers. Offer of £100,000 accepted then we discuss terms. From his current £750 pw and £575 app fee he asks for £6,500 and £3,000.

Not a chance. Even with negotiation he wants £5,250 and £2,000. I decide to pull out of the deal.

One year later i approach a Sutton player. £45,000 accepted for a 23 year old who has spent all his career with them. Sit down for contract talks and bang-

£11,000 pw is his demands.....I beg your pardon.

We talk and talk and he will go no lower than £8,000 pw.

From BSS to League 1, from £150 pw to £8,000.

As im sure you can guess, said player is still with Sutton and i snapped up a 18 year old from Newcastle for £125,000 and £1,500 pw.

Am i being harsh or do those wage demands seem a little, or a lot, strange.

Three players from non-league have moved elsewhere. Two have gone for around £4k pw week, no where near what they would accept from me. The other moved to Swansea for massive wages, £13k.

In terms of wage budget left i have alot. I have £140,000 and am spending £90,000.

Archived