Network game / running a server!!!

Ok for several years me and a couple o friends have played fm over a LAN, one of the lads I play the game with has been given an old apple Xserve which he has fixed and upgraded. We were hoping to be able to use the Xserve to run our FM network game but it seems as though we will have to buy another copy of the game to allow it to be registered through steam!

Is there no provision to install it as a server mode that does not need to be activated in steam?

Obviously all players have purchased a legal copy of the game and run it through steam so why can we not run a dedicated server without purchasing another copy of the game

because it wasn't an on-line question! i asked about a LAN (LOCAL AREA NETWORK) game and using a dedicated server.

Those game users who have the knowledge to help you will be more likely to post in the FM Online forum , so best to look/ask in there. Use the Help thread and don't open a new thread though.

Why can't people use the Online forum? There have been so many of these threads created in GD this past week.

The name FM Online is misleading especially when they used to have the FM Online game, which i thought it was connected to that as first. The sub forum used to be something called else but had "network games" mentioned in the title, which makes more sense.

Archived