why do coaches still select players out of position?

Ok I am assuming you are playing on FM12. I have noticed that you have to have the the tactic selected has your starting tactic not your back up. I don't know if it is a bug or if its meant to work that way. I found this out because my Main tactic is 4-5-1 and my back up is 4-4-2, when I asked my assistant to pick the team for a 4-4-2 set has back-up it was putting my ST in CM and my CM in a ST position, when I changed the formation to 4-5-1 they all went to the positions for that and all where green. So, when I selected the 4-4-2 has a starting tactic and got my assistant to pick the team, he pickedthe right players in the right positions.

Also look at you team report to see who is in the Sweeper position has your best Sweeper, if it only shows 2 and they are your best two DC's then your assistant will assign on at random I suppose.

The AI is set up to pick players for the Starting Tactic in FM12. So, you have to change the back-up tactic to starting before asking the AI to pick.

If you only have one SW or one DM then it will select what it considers to be the next best available person to play there because it can't leave it blank.

If your only SW is your best DC the AI will put your DC in his DC position, and pick what it considers to be your next best SW.

Unfortunately, A real life assistant would tell you to put the DC in the SW position and pick your third choice DC in the empty DC position.

If you only have one SW put him in that position and then ask your assistant to fill the empty spaces.

Archived