Installation issue?

So, out of curiosity and in order to give it a chance to show me all of its 'amazing benefits' (I still haven't had it fully explained to me what they are considering I only play FM) I decided to reinstall FM10 on the mighty Steam. However, even though I'm trying to install from the DVD, it insists on downloading (v slowly) from Steam. Is this right? I don't want it to install from Steam, I want it to install from the DVD. If that's the case, what's the point of the DVD?

Now, having looked over the website and their 'service', I can see how this will probably pan out in the next few years. Just how soon will Valve decide that Steam should become a subscription service, so they can, of course, continue to offer 'amazing benefits' to you, the lucky consumer? A couple of quid a month, not much is it? To access your library of games and have all the 'amazing benefits' of Steam, this of course, will be in addition to the price of the game. Of course, if you don't pony up the subscription fee then you can't play the game....but you will get all the 'amazing benefits' of Steam and you can sleep soundly knowing you've making a solid financial contribution to the continued fight against piracy. I suspect it won't happen for a couple of years yet, Steam will have to really continue to cement its position within the marketplace for a while, but it'll happen. No-one in business can resist milking a cash-cow. G&Ts all round at Sega, SI and Valve! What an amazing benefit!

So, out of curiosity and in order to give it a chance to show me all of its 'amazing benefits' (I still haven't had it fully explained to me what they are considering I only play FM) I decided to reinstall FM10 on the mighty Steam. However, even though I'm trying to install from the DVD, it insists on downloading (v slowly) from Steam. Is this right? I don't want it to install from Steam, I want it to install from the DVD. If that's the case, what's the point of the DVD?

Now, having looked over the website and their 'service', I can see how this will probably pan out in the next few years. Just how soon will Valve decide that Steam should become a subscription service, so they can, of course, continue to offer 'amazing benefits' to you, the lucky consumer? A couple of quid a month, not much is it? To access your library of games and have all the 'amazing benefits' of Steam, this of course, will be in addition to the price of the game. Of course, if you don't pony up the subscription fee then you can't play the game....but you will get all the 'amazing benefits' of Steam and you can sleep soundly knowing you've making a solid financial contribution to the continued fight against piracy. I suspect it won't happen for a couple of years yet, Steam will have to really continue to cement its position within the marketplace for a while, but it'll happen. No-one in business can resist milking a cash-cow. G&Ts all round at Sega, SI and Valve! What an amazing benefit!

I'll bite

Steam was introduced to the public 7 years ago. Never have charged a monthly fee, doubt they ever would.

original post is spot on in what WILL happen eventually, there is no doubt that like he stated in the future you will have to pay to use STEAM, and as has been stated in other posts before they shut it down STEAM does not have any affect in fighting piracy that is a very poor excuse by the powers that be for making you use steam.

I can see the following happening all patches released will be called expansions or whatever offering you new and sparkling options and you will have to pay $2 - $3 or more dollars for each "expansion" when all it will be is a patch they would have released for free for there buggy product.

This is the real reason for going to STEAM they will be charging you money for there patches in the future but they will be calling it Expansion or something else. Wake up people it is coming to this soon and i am not happy about using steam for my other games as well as for FM12 and as for them saying going to steam has worked and they have more pre-orders that is wrong as well as they did not tell people it was steam only and a lot of people pre-ordered the game before they released their statement about it being only steam delivered. I would not have payed my money for it beforehand if i had known it was steam only as a lot of people have stated as well.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind actually paying a few quid a year for Steam. The fact that your whole game library is backed up and can be downloaded and played on any computer anywhere is worth a subscription fee alone. But will they charge? I doubt it to be honest. I mean, how can they? I personally have a library of about 40 games downloaded and paid for via Steam.

If they suddenly decide to charge you for their service and you refuse to pay, what will they make you do - download installer files for the games you've bought and then kick you out?

I'm amazed that the young 'uns of today (to coin a phrase) expect every bloody thing for free.

No, not a troll, just genuinely intrigued by the 'service' Steam offer and as ridiculous as people may think it sounds, I do believe you'll eventually end up being charged to use Steam.

Just because it's been free for the last seven years really means nothing about the business plan in place for its future. It's got to build a reputation and establish itself in the market, it has to get people used to using it (initially for free), using Steam to buy, activate and manage your games must become a habit; then you can start charging people for it. Not much to begin with, but that'll slowly change too.

Dirtyscarab, I suspect with content which is bought from, or which requires activation by Steam, that once your subscription payments stop, then their obligation to you the consumer would also stop. You want to keep on playing games you bought from them, or which are activated by them, then you keep on paying the subscription fee. If you don't, you can't play the game any more.

Kym, yes, I quite agree about charging for 'expansion packs', I believe EA have already done something similar with several of their sports titles, charging for things like weekly roster updates on some titles such as Madden (not sure about this years version)

Dirtyscarab, I suspect with content which is bought from, or which requires activation by Steam, that once your subscription payments stop, then their obligation to you the consumer would also stop. You want to keep on playing games you bought from them, or which are activated by them, then you keep on paying the subscription fee. If you don't, you can't play the game any more.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

The real world equivalent is a retail store called 'Game Stop' here in the States. You can become a member if you want and get discounts and other perks.

If I cancelled the membership with them, would they then come round to my house and take away the games I've bought from them in the past? Of course not!

You're forgetting that Steam is essentially a shop. Why on earth would they charge you for shopping there? That would be the worst executive decision since Ross Perot decided not to buy Microsoft off Bill Gates for 60 million :D

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

The real world equivalent is a retail store called 'Game Stop' here in the States. You can become a member if you want and get discounts and other perks.

If I cancelled the membership with them, would they then come round to my house and take away the games I've bought from them in the past? Of course not!

You're forgetting that Steam is essentially a shop. Why on earth would they charge you for shopping there? That would be the worst executive decision since Ross Perot decided not to buy Microsoft off Bill Gates for 60 million :D

No steam won't come around to your house and take away your games as they already have them on their server so i presume they will just stop giving you access to them until you rejoin and pay your subscription fee.

Steam is not the same as a retail store because even though you bought a game from Steam you actually need their service to run it.

Archived