Contract Negotiation

lol, you do wonder how much some of the players actually want in order to sign or re-sign. For example, a player in the Spanish league, young kid, few first team appearances, small club, earning £600 a week. I come in with an offer, the club accepts it and he says we can't pay him enough. At this point, Peterhead are reigning Scottish champions and are playing in the Champions League, so I can offer him £9.5k a week and a signing bonus of 180k. That pretty much 16 times what he is on, plus Champions League football. But he won't sign because we can't pay enough. I'd like to know exactly how much he actually wanted, instead of just saying we can't pay enough. Footballers are mercenaries, if you pay it, they will come.

• SI Staff
lol, you do wonder how much some of the players actually want in order to sign or re-sign. For example, a player in the Spanish league, young kid, few first team appearances, small club, earning £600 a week. I come in with an offer, the club accepts it and he says we can't pay him enough. At this point, Peterhead are reigning Scottish champions and are playing in the Champions League, so I can offer him £9.5k a week and a signing bonus of 180k. That pretty much 16 times what he is on, plus Champions League football. But he won't sign because we can't pay enough. I'd like to know exactly how much he actually wanted, instead of just saying we can't pay enough. Footballers are mercenaries, if you pay it, they will come.

Ok put yourself in his shoes ....

You're a talented player at Barcelona waiting for your chance in the first team and becoming an instant millionaire - you expect you'll snare a 30k/week contract fairly easily once you break through and once you're established the sky is your limit PLUS a percentage of transfers if you move on and media rights, endorsements etc. from being at one of the bigger clubs in the world.

Peterhead the reigning Scottish champions come in for you offering a paltry 9.5k/week in wages to move to Scotland where you've never been before, you know full well that if you move there the chances are you'll never get another chance at a club like Barcelona - you don't expect Peterhead to impress particularly in the continental competitions and doing well in Scotland while good is never going to be enough to make Barcelona believe you can compete against the best in the world .... so you decide to stay put and wait six months or a year for that first team contract you know is coming.

(just saying)

Good reasoning, that's how it should work. Except he wasn't at Barcelona. He was at Getafe. Anyway, the point i was making is that there already is a "I wouldn't dream of playing for such a small club" message. I've already had that. It all adds to the fun of turning a cow field by an oil refinery into a European super-power with a huge stadium. So if I don't get that, but do get the "you can't pay enough", I'd like to know how much. If he's never going come over, fair enough, then hit me with the "your club is crap, you must be joking" message as that's quite amusing/a challenge. Or alternatively, "I'm not coming over, it's cold and wet and I'm hoping to play for Barcelona." would be just as good. More variety Marc!

By the way, in Peterhead's third year in the Champions League, we've just topped our group (and it was a hard one) and qualified for the knockout stages for the first time. However, Chelsea are next.... gulp. If we do make progress though, it will be interesting to see whether the increased reputation makes it easier to sign overseas players.

• SI Staff
If he's never going come over, fair enough, then hit me with the "your club is crap, you must be joking" message as that's quite amusing/a challenge. Or alternatively, "I'm not coming over, it's cold and wet and I'm hoping to play for Barcelona." would be just as good. More variety Marc

Fair enough - I've improved this side of things (and the media) a fair bit for FMH2012 .... but your post has given me some more to think about for updates.

By the way, in Peterhead's third year in the Champions League, we've just topped our group (and it was a hard one) and qualified for the knockout stages for the first time. However, Chelsea are next.... gulp. If we do make progress though, it will be interesting to see whether the increased reputation makes it easier to sign overseas players.

Cool - congratulations and good luck with the next round :D

Maybe the example was not the best one, but there's clearly something fishy about the transfer system. Messi should never go to Everton when he is 27. Kaká and Eto'o should not sign for Boa EC on a free (I was Boa EC :D). You should review it if possible.

Have to admit that I have been annoyed at certain points in the game where my transfer targets have gone to equal teams in the same league for less money than what I was offering.

Look forward to the updates Marc, I havn't touched FMHi for a few months, really looking forward to any news on FMHi12 and a release date.

• SI Staff
Maybe the example was not the best one, but there's clearly something fishy about the transfer system. Messi should never go to Everton when he is 27. Kaká and Eto'o should not sign for Boa EC on a free (I was Boa EC :D). You should review it if possible.

The Messi situation was a flaw and has been fixed for FMHi 2012 .... (I can explain what was going on but its rather geeky and confusing, suffice to say it shouldn't have happened and is rectified).

• SI Staff
Please do explain, you've made me interested now :p

It wouldn't make sense wholly without quoting code and going into how the data in the game is compressed and stored - PM me if you really have problems sleeping tonight and want a detailed explanation but I'll try and avoid confusing too many people in this thread ;)

Archived