Saints Confidence

So I've taken Southampton to the Premier League in successive seasons, then finished 15th, 8th, 10th then 6th whilst winning two Carling Cups and being beaten FA Cup finalists twice.

Its probably one of my best achievements ever on FM to be honest and I'm darn proud of it (although I imagine peoples stories on here could dwarf mine), however, my question is, why am I not appreciated??

My confidence at the end of each season is set at 'untouchable' then resets every preseason to 'stable' (although the confidence for competitions, club stature etc remain high). I'm not a legend of favoured personnel on the club info page and when I asked for a new contract because mine was expiring in 4 months the board said I hadnt shown that I deserved one (despite even having previously on several occassions set my salary as £6k per week rather than the £45k they had offered me to keep club expenses down). My reputation is World Class and everyone compliments the way I play (except for Mick McCarthy who hates me I might add).

Is this a problem with the game or am I just not hitting the heights I thought I was??

Thanks for your help

Sorry to tell you but you'll have to do much more to qualify as favoured personnel, much, much more!

As for status, that's perfectly believable as new season expectations change perceptions, also, I think cortese is not a patient chap!

I'm not sure, but your rep might take your wage into consideration so whilst you are freeing up wages you might be adversely affecting your rep.

thanks furiousuk, point taken.

but.... whoa whoa whoa out of nowhere I have just been sacked after the penultimate game of preseason!! whats going on?? been there six years and taken them to 6th in thr prem always exceeding expectations with 2 carling cup wins and 2 fa cup finals and I'm sacked for no reason?? I understand if I had demanded something, or something was going wrong, but seriously wtf...

I've heard this mentioned elsewhere on the forums before and, whilst it might be perfectly realistic, it shouldn't be a part of FM as, first and foremost, this is a game most people play solely for enjoyment and getting the sack ain't fun.

I'll consider getting Genie Scout or FMRTE and checking a few things out... Find your club reputation and then compare your manager reputation against managers of similarly reputable clubs. If you're very much lower rep then this could be a reason. Also, check out Cortese's hidden stats, I think I've heard someone mention before that he is quick to wield the axe, particularly if you're in debt - if he's bankrolling the club personally he's going to be much more likely to give you the chop even if you're succeeding on the pitch.

Even if you were a low ranked manager with a trigger-happy chairman this sort of thing isn't fun. Getting the sack when you're struggling on the pitch is understandable but no-one enjoys it when you're doing well.

fair play great achievement, but I'm really annoyed because I try, like I imagine most people do, to justify the crazy things that happen on football manager, but 6 years effort for nothing for them to sack me for no reason when every season I have overachieved... raging....

totally agree furiousuk, it takes all the fun out the game. I wouldnt mind so much if there had been warnings from the board, or even in the media, but I just recently signed a new 4 year contract and made my summer signings/sales, it doesnt make any sense and seems really unbelievable

totally agree furiousuk, it takes all the fun out the game. I wouldnt mind so much if there had been warnings from the board, or even in the media, but I just recently signed a new 4 year contract and made my summer signings/sales, it doesnt make any sense and seems really unbelievable

Maybe the reputation of the club outgrew yours that's why they sacked you. Lets say Saints' reputation was that high that managers like Jose Mourinho would seriously consider taking the job. The chairman will be thinking, Jose Mourinho or you. And with the pittance the club was paying you, the chairman would have no problems paying you off. Clubs IRL have done similar things, albeit not as extreme as your case. Look at Chris Hughton. Did a great job with Newcastle, got promoted, was doing reasonably well in the Premier League and was sacked out of the blue.

i see what you mean about the low salary being cheaper, but still I dont understand why he would sack me. theres no logical reason. and the problem is it makes me think whats the point in putting loads of time and effort into building a team and gaining success if FM will do something crazy, unrealistic and out of the blue like that

not really it just told me i'd been sacked and cortese said a new manager would bring a fresh approach, which is understandable, but not if Ive contantly been successful and everyone praises the way I play

chris hughton is a good example for your argument, which I can understand but my reputation was world class...

Are you patched up to 11.3? Im sure there was a bug where your manager reputation would reset at the start of every season. So if you started with Sunday League it would reset to Sunday League every new season.

Archived