Change the way marking works

So, im a huge fan of football. Ive lived in Brazil for a while, and used to watch a lot of matches. I noticed they usually play with 2 defensive midfielders, and they work quite differently than football manager enginer portrays them.

They dont just sit in front of defence, like it happens in fm2011 engine. They run to the flanks to act as a cover to the fullbacks, and they work as a second man marking. Ive noticed that in FM theres never more than one player going for the tackle, wich is something that maybe happens in english football, but it doesnt quite happen anywhere else. In brazilian leagues you always see two, sometimes even three players running for the ball.

Take Messi for example. Theres usually at least 2 players trying to tackle him, no matter the team Barcelona is playing. Id love to have an option in the marking settings for a Cover. Man mark, Zonal Mark and a Cover Mark, enabling players to go for the tackle and help steal the ball, instead of having to choose only one player manually thats gonna have a double man mark.

This would improve the usefulness of defensive midfielders considerably. Now theyre just quite useless as theyre coded. Ive banned defensive midfielders from my strats basically because they just sit in front of defense and do nothing, unless youre an AMC.

Ive tried fiddling with the DMC settings, changed his mark to zonal, changed his mentality around to allow him max movement. The only time i got them to attack the wingers, instead of the fullbacks run for the cover, they started running into the AREA. I want a way to make both players run for the tackle. Why would a fullback start running backwards when a player is running with the ball into the wing just because the DMC is already chasing him. He would totally run into the guy to help the tackle instead.

It makes me want to bang my head on the wall when i see a skilled striker skin a defender and all the other 4 or 5 players holding the line just watch as he runs into the goal. In real matches, when 1 player runs against 4 defenders, rest assured all 4 would try to stop him, instead of just sitting there looking stupid, or holding the line when theres nobody else there.

Yeah, this is actually a very real problem that the coders face. I have played many different years of EA's Madden NFL and Fifa games, and until only recently has the American football game included having more than one player going in for a tackle. I don't know the exact complexities of the programming, but what I've heard over the years is that coding multiple players to move into the same area and essentially perform a set of instructions toward the same target is very difficult, not to mention taxing on the game engine itself.

It makes me want to bang my head on the wall when i see a skilled striker skin a defender and all the other 4 or 5 players holding the line just watch as he runs into the goal. In real matches, when 1 player runs against 4 defenders, rest assured all 4 would try to stop him, instead of just sitting there looking stupid, or holding the line when theres nobody else there.

Seconded. Been a problem for a long while. Basic concepts of covering are lacking at times (use of tight man marking seems to magnify the problem). Also agree with the aggressive pressing, and even when it does happen that more than one player presses they do so completely independently so you don't get a 'pincer' type movement/positioning, they often seem to want to get to the same point and passing lanes/escape is fairly easy for the man in possession.

Thirded. I don't so much agree with the analysis of DMCs as mine both track to the flanks to cover for the FB, who also tends to stay wide as a 2nd man, but there is certainly not enough tracking back from players when the threat is obviously in their area of the pitch. As soon as a winger sees the FB in position he stops moving backwards Further, he never tracks an overlapping fullback.

Thirded. I don't so much agree with the analysis of DMCs as mine both track to the flanks to cover for the FB, who also tends to stay wide as a 2nd man, but there is certainly not enough tracking back from players when the threat is obviously in their area of the pitch. As soon as a winger sees the FB in position he stops moving backwards Further, he never tracks an overlapping fullback.

Yea i got the DMCs to track the wingers by allowing them to roam from the position, but the "more than one player tackle" thing still doesnt happen. Guess it cant be done in this version. I seriously hope they manage to get this done in future versions tho, as watching players just sit there and look pretty as only one of them goes for the tackle is getting quite annoying.

Woop! I can do something you guys can't do, ner ner ne ner ner :raspberry:

My players double up... more so in my new tactic than my old one but still... I often have two players closing the ball down, especially in the defensive third. My DM's run all over the place, dunno why yours don't? Cover the FB? no problem, support the defence? again.. no problem... the only real problem I've noticed with the DM's is, where in FM09 they would hold the position in front of the defence naturally, now I have to tell them to rarely make forward runs to make them sit there. No other problems reported here :thup:

However... I would like my fullback to track the winger once he closes him down on the halfway line. Currently the winger runs down the wing, the full-back tracks him so far then thinks he'll not bother doing that and he'll run into the area instead and THEN he decides to go and close the winger down again!! Say what? ARRGHH!! :D

Woop! I can do something you guys can't do, ner ner ne ner ner :raspberry:

My players double up... more so in my new tactic than my old one but still... I often have two players closing the ball down, especially in the defensive third. My DM's run all over the place, dunno why yours don't? Cover the FB? no problem, support the defence? again.. no problem... the only real problem I've noticed with the DM's is, where in FM09 they would hold the position in front of the defence naturally, now I have to tell them to rarely make forward runs to make them sit there. No other problems reported here :thup:

However... I would like my fullback to track the winger once he closes him down on the halfway line. Currently the winger runs down the wing, the full-back tracks him so far then thinks he'll not bother doing that and he'll run into the area instead and THEN he decides to go and close the winger down again!! Say what? ARRGHH!! :D

Problem is not the tracking "per se", even tho the winger tracking is annoying i agree. Its the fact that only one players goes in for the tackle instead of all the available players in the area that arent busy

Problem is not the tracking "per se", even tho the winger tracking is annoying i agree. Its the fact that only one players goes in for the tackle instead of all the available players in the area that arent busy

Yeah, I know what you said your problem was, I don't have that problem... *shrugs*

Of course you have that problem. Its coded so two players dont tackle at once. Or actually its coded so only one player tackles at once. I am talking about two players going in to snatch the ball at once. It just doesnt happen.

Of course you have that problem. Its coded so two players dont tackle at once. Or actually its coded so only one player tackles at once. I am talking about two players going in to snatch the ball at once. It just doesnt happen.

for you...

OK, I concede I don't have two players tackling at once, I do often have two players closing down the ball though, and if one misses his tackle...

Archived