multi threading support- how many threads?

as title how many threads can Fm make use of?

looking to build a new rig in the next few weeks as my old q9450 is starting to show her age.

torn between going for a 2500k quadcore and a 2600k quad with hyperthreading(4+4) or waiting on ivybridge or going for a 6core(12thread) gulftown

anyone able to give a definate answer on this?

also anyone know if we're going to see an x64 exe for fm12?

FM won't utilise all threads evenly, but it can utilise 12 processing threads. I'm using an i7920, the program favours 2 threads for its general processing (about 25% usage with 2 more at 10% usage), if a big batch of processing comes up all 8 threads are used - this is very rare mind but then the processor is OC'd to 4.2ghz; FM isn't the main game its used for.

As for a 64 bit FM, I doubt it for another few years at least. Games are always designed to work with the oldest, widely used technology in the market. I genuinely wouldn't expect a 64 bit FM before 2015, and in all likeliness would think it would be more around 2017 giving a much larger portion of users to move to 64 bit operating systems. Countless stores have over the last couple of years and still now, are selling 32 bit OS's because they have them stocked up and need to get rid. The vast majority aren't clued up on computers, this is shown by hte fact PC world are still the most popular retailer in the UK.

FM won't utilise all threads evenly, but it can utilise 12 processing threads. I'm using an i7920, the program favours 2 threads for its general processing (about 25% usage with 2 more at 10% usage), if a big batch of processing comes up all 8 threads are used - this is very rare mind but then the processor is OC'd to 4.2ghz; FM isn't the main game its used for.

I think it might be able to use more, actually... Although to be fair, I don't think many of us have dual-Xeons or quad-Opterons to find out. A Sandy Bridge dual Xeon has 24 threads... Very tempting.

As for a 64 bit FM, I doubt it for another few years at least. Games are always designed to work with the oldest, widely used technology in the market. I genuinely wouldn't expect a 64 bit FM before 2015, and in all likeliness would think it would be more around 2017 giving a much larger portion of users to move to 64 bit operating systems. Countless stores have over the last couple of years and still now, are selling 32 bit OS's because they have them stocked up and need to get rid. The vast majority aren't clued up on computers, this is shown by hte fact PC world are still the most popular retailer in the UK.

The last Intel processor that was 32-bit was the Core (Duo), released in January 2006. Given most PCs last around 4 years, I don't think it will be 2015 - we could even see it in 2013, in all honesty.

And it is also possible that future games will work with 32-bit and 64-bit with 64-bit users getting better performance.

The real sticker is the 30% or so Windows XP market share, of which the majority is 32-bit (XP does have 64-bit, but its driver support is horrible), but Windows 7 passed XP's market share a while back so we are at least heading in the right direction.

Uses up to all 4 cores on my Q6600 during match processing, uses two otherwise. It seems it will use as many as it can under intensive sesions, but otherwise makes a compromise between CPU usage and processing speed.

Archived