Close shaves

Sometimes it's success by the narrowest margin that makes for the most exciting games. I had taken York City to the brink of the Premiership but a mid-season wobble had seen us fall to third, just out of the automatic promotion slots, behind Middlesborough, who had lead all season but were in meltdown and Stoke who had gone on a promotion charge. With two games left, York were on 80, the others on 82 points. They were at home but both drew. York were away and scored a winner in the 90th minute. I almost dropped my iPad when we scored.

Final game of the season, all three clubs on 83 points, but York had the worse goal difference. We were at home, the other two were away. I had to do better than either of the other teams to be promoted. Stoke were away to Burnley, themselves in the playoffs - a tough game. Middlesborough were away to Preston. An easy game but 'Boro hadn't won in 10 and had lost all their away games in that spell. York were at home to Blackpool - mid-table but full of quality. At halftime, we were leading 1-0, dominating the game. Middlesborough were drawing and Stoke were 2-0 down to Burnley. Automatic promotion was on the cards. And then it all went wrong. Blackpool came out like a house on fire, we couldn't get a kick, it was one formation change after another, then it happened, they scored twice in a minute. There were 15 minutes left of the season, York were losing 2-1, it didn't matter what the other teams were doing, it was all over if we didn't score. What formation to play? I went 4-4-2 attacking, made all three subs, lobbing the ball into the box. Blackpool sat back, there was one chance, then another, missed, then in the 86th minute we scored - cue insane cheering - and it finished 2-2. With some trepidation i tapped on continue to see the other results. Burnley had stuffed Stoke 3-1, Preston had turned 'Boro over 2-0, and somehow, we had been promoted as champions. What a season, god bless Football Manager!

If you're still reading :) what close shaves had you had that you can share?

The one that sticks out for me was maybe 10 seasons ago, Burnley in Champ league final against Barcelona, I was 3-0 down at half time, brought on my star striker (who was at 86% fit so started as a sub) he scored a hat trick to bring it 3-3 full time and scored a screamer in added time. I had some odd lucks when I cheered and shouted GET IN! in the middle of the office :D

He has since retired but I will always remember that

I have an embarrassing, amazing, and lucky story. I was Brighton, and I had reached the final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy against Southampton.

I had many injuries within the squad, leaving me with only 3 real players on the bench, and a first team of fringe players, however, after two goals each way at 2-2, with about eight minutes to go, I had one final subsitution for my injured striker, I went to put the only available striker on the pitch, when I accidentally selected the goalkeeper and pressed confirm. Naturally, I was swearing and cursing on the train, with many people giving me dirty looks but I decided to brave the rest of the match. With two minutes to go, the substitute goalie, Peter Brezovan, scored a beast of a goal, from 20 yards or something. Now, I was cheering, and the man who was sitting across from me got up and walked down the carriage. But I didn't care, I just won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, with my Goalkeeper scoring the winning goal!

More stories! :cool:

I took over at Juventus late January ( way into the future ) who were 17 points behind reigning champions and top of the league AC Milan. I stormed back into contention beating AC Milan at the San Siro and won the league on the final day because AC Milan conceded an equaliser in the 89th minute away at Palermo who were propping up the league. I was like YYYYYYYYYYYYYESSS punching the air and my girlfriend said " its not actually real " pppssshhhh she had to go.

On another more tragic game I was also 3-0 up in the UEFA Cup final against United and Tevez decided to score five in the second half - tears were shed.

Archived