Can you control your finances?

I'm currently managing Nottingham Forest in the second season on the 11.3 patch. I got them into the Premiership at the first time of asking (finishing second) and went from a transfer budget of 250k with a wage budget of 110k to a transfer budget of £18 million and a wage budget of around 250k.

I spent £13 million on Leon Osman, James Vaughan, Solvi Ottesen (Beast!), Scott Loach and Ravel Morrison. I also signed Marek Jankulovski on a free.

I then adjusted my budget to mean that I have a 300k wage budget and £0 in transfer money. I'm currently spending £258k on wages and, if I wish to bring a player in, I have the ability to adjust my transfer budget to £1.2 million.

This makes my chairman very happy as we are churning out a profit each month.

My question to you is this; Do you manage to make a profit regularly or do you just splash the cash?

Make too much profit and the board will take it away as dividends. Although in fairness they also pumped in cash when I made losses earlier in the game. At least that's how it was with my Liverpool team. So I say if you need to spend the money, spend it. But after certain amount of time there's just no need to as there's no better players than the ones I already have anyway.

Financial control is one of my main focuses of all my saves, I usually do this in a few ways:

1. Keep the squad young, younger players as for lower wages. I also try and maintain an imaginary wage cap

2. Buy them young, sell for big profits. I sometimes sign young players knowing they'll never make it in my team, but they should generate profit

3. Work with a fairly small squad and small staff, fewer players means less spending

4. Constantly keep asking for ground expansions or a new stadium, the more bums in seats the more cash I get!

It usually takes me between 2-4 seasons to do it, but after that I generally make a good profit year on year.

I overspend, free transfers are too tempting and the button 'approach to sign' should be greyed out to stop me.

Was going to post pretty much exactly this. Just can't resist it when an agent offers me a player who's without a club and my scouts tell me he has 3* plus potential.:)

Was going to post pretty much exactly this. Just can't resist it when an agent offers me a player who's without a club and my scouts tell me he has 3* plus potential.:)

Yes, this. Pre-patch I had a Droylsden save where I could pretty much release anyone in my squad not worth keeping and had a squad of around 40 top quality players :/

Archived