Is the effect of rivalries on transfers too big?

Playing 11.2. as Real Madrid, I scouted Mario Gomez to get an estimate of his cost. My scout returned with a report saying that he's not interested. Umm, what? At the time he was their 2nd or 3rd choice striker, so wasn't playing much or doing well, and let's be honest here, I doubt that IRL Gomez would (at least outright) refuse Real Madrid's interest. But wait, there's an explanation: he has Barcelona in his favourites! I might understand his reluctancy if he was a born and bred Catalonian, having played at Barca's academy, but that's not the case with Gomez.

I've had similar experiences and seen others reporting them with loanees, e.g. Juventus' Quagliarella (Napoli ((in-game rival of Juve)) in his favourites) simply refuses to negotiate on a permanent transfer, and it's the same with players on loan from Udinese, which also has Juventus listed in their rivals.

I just did a test with Juventus: I started a new game, and triggered Pepe's (on loan from Udinese, 85 rivalry with Juve) signing fee. His agent didn't even want to negotiate. I opened the editor, removed the rivalry, and started another game. Guess what, his agent was willing to negotiate! Rivalry's effects should really be toned down. There's no way Pepe would refuse a transfer to Juventus IRL just because Udinese has a (small) rivalry with them.

I can't see any club selling a player to their rivals, and I don't see any player leaving to go to them unless there was some extreme reasoning behind it.

In these cases though, the rivals are minor in real life and in some cases the players are already playing for those teams on loan so it's obviously neither the home team nor player minds playing for the rival. BTW, rivalries really need to be toned down in Serie A. It's quite ridiculous when some teams have 8 or more fierce rivals and just as many minor rivals. It makes it nearly impossible to buy players from half the teams in the league which makes the 1 non-EU transfer from outside Italy even harder to play with.

From some of the examples I have read, it sounds ridiculous. Everton players refusing to go to either Manchester club is ridiculous, Rooney, Lescott & we'll no doubt be adding Rodwell to that list IRL, Tim Howard happily going the other way IRL too. The game is ridiculous if it pretty much blocks moves from nearby teams.

Has anyone noticed if it affects lower league teams? Such as Derby who have Chesterfield as rivals due to location, but with them playing two divisions below (for now), it would be crazy for players not to make the step up whilst being able to live in the same location.

I can't see any club selling a player to their rivals, and I don't see any player leaving to go to them unless there was some extreme reasoning behind it.

Really? What about Blasi, Zalayeta, Quagliarella and Rinaudo between Juventus and Napoli? Chiellini, Mutu, Marchionni, Zanetti and Melo between Juve & Fiorentina? Carini and Cannavaro between Juve & Inter? Buffon, Thuram, Di Vaio, Amauri, Giovinco, Palladino between Juve & Parma? Just to name a few recent transfers between Juventus and it's Italian rivals. There're loads of other examples too, even between the Milanese teams (e.g. Pirlo, Seedorf).

It would make sense to me if it went like this:

there are two teams who are rivals, A and B

there is one player, C

Initially, it is down to the selling club whether they accept the bid or not. If the club decide to sell the player, then the scenario should be:

If C was at A, and had A as a favoured club, then he would likely not be interested in a move

If C was at A, and had B as a disliked club, then he would not be interested in a move

If C was at A, and he had no favoured club, the player should have no bias

If C was at A, and he had B as a favoured club, he would most likely talk to the club.

The Bias should go down to the team first, and then to the player, and what their relationship is like with the club.

IMO, if it follows something different to this, I would think it needs looking into

Archived