Player Roles, Formations, and Fitness- any Correlation?

I have noticed something interesting, specifically with Fernando Llorente.

In my Athletic Club saves, I played him in a 4-4-2 as a support TM alongside a poacher. When I would be in European competitions, his fitness would be such that maybe he'd play the league game but only have 89% fitness for the midweek Euro match. This was frustrating as he has fairly high stamina and plays almost every minute of every game for Athletic IRL, and seems to be up for it.

However, I got sacked in that save so gave it up in favor of a Spurs save. One of my early signings was Fernando Llorente, who now plays as an attacking TM in a 4-2-3-1 formation. This time, though, he'll play a league game, but then still have his fitness at around 96% for the next game and then be fit enough for the next league match three days later. Now, though, the player who gets tired for midweek games is Rafael Van Der Vaart, an attacking Trequartista AMC. Both Llorente and VDV have stamina ratings of 15.

It seems to me that player roles and formations play some part in a players fitness- has anyone else noticed this???

It seems to me that player roles and formations play some part in a players fitness- has anyone else noticed this???

Yes there position does make a difference and it makes the game more realistic.

For instance take Maggio who plays in a very advanced wing back/right midfield position for Lazio or Dani Alves who basically runs Barca's right hand side by himself, they are covering a hell of alot more ground and hence using much more energy than a disciplined right back (can't think of one atm) who ventures forward rarely.

As far as Llorente goes in your example as support im guessing he is dropping deep and moving wide(?) more on support duty where as on attack he is staying up against the defensive line and so moving around less so his condition stays higher and he can go for longer without a rest.

a supporting TM drops deep to get the ball, holds it, plays short with the mids and plays through balls to his striking partner. An attcking TM... just stands in the box waiting for crosses, basically. Not really, but he covers a lot less ground.

Also when you say that he plays the match and then is in poor condition for the European match, that's more regarding natural fitness than stamina. stamina is about the energy the player has for the 90 minutes. Natural fitness is about the faster or slower the player can recover his maximum physical condition.

Archived