Staff Handover

My assistant is going to retire at the end of the season, which is now very close. Having had a look around I have decided to bring someone in rather than promote from within which is my normal policy. Only problem is, my board won't let me sign him at the moment because I'd then have 2 assistants, but I'm worried he's going to be snapped up by someone else in the meantime. There should be some kind of option to have two overlapping slightly as a kind of handover thing.

Quite annoying. Oh well, back to frantic trying to sign players to try to survive in league one. Looks like quite a big step up from League 2.

Yeah, I had this exact same problem, with Pat Rice retiring at Arsenal.

He retired in the middle of pre season though so I just had to go without an Assistant for a week or so.

I don't even know why SI bothered putting all these restrictions on the number of staff you are allowed. I don't see why a board would ever do this IRL. Fair enough if you are over the wage budget. But if you have £50m+ sitting pretty, and £500k pw spare in the wage budget, then what the hell is the problem with me having an extra couple of scouts?

I guess having 2 assistants would mess up, assistant advice things, although I guess you could always designate one as the main guy

Similar thing as my assistant decided to announce he'll retire at the end of the season.

Problem is, I managed to find a replacement assistant who's currently a player, but hanging up his boots at the end of the season. The nature of the deal dictates it can only go through at the end of his contract. I'm unable to complete the deal though, because we "already have an assistant", even though the deal wouldn't actually be concluded until after my current assistant has retired and left the club.

Bit of a stumbling block there, so rather than wait I sacked my current "retiring" assistant manager (or sort of an early shove and a carriage clock ;) ) and have appointed someone else, fortunately who is just as good.

Only way around the problem as I can see it at the moment.

Bit of a stumbling block there, so rather than wait I sacked my current "retiring" assistant manager (or sort of an early shove and a carriage clock ;) ) and have appointed someone else, fortunately who is just as good.

Only way around the problem as I can see it at the moment.

Yeah it seems so, that's what I ended up doing. I didn't really want to sack him as he's been great through the lower leagues, but there we are.

There definitely should be a 'join at end of season' option or something to be able to ensure continuity.

Yeah there's one for players signing so it would be good for staff too.

Can you sign him as a coach and then upgrade him to assistant when your other one goes?

Most assistants have nearly a full bar as a coach too.

In theory I could, except that he won't move to me as a coach and I think I've filled up my coaching staff allocation.

Its one of those things that I think should be put in the game.

The ability to sign players either with the clause that they will move up to a specific job at some point, or in this case, sign a new assistant with a contract that starts when your current assistant retires.

I personally would love to be able to do things like offer a coach a role as a youth coach with a contract stating that if they do a good job then in 2 season time their job will be changed to that of a first team coach.

Archived