Gipped on a work permit

I found a quality Benin international striker (ok, slight oxymoron there) available on a free at the start of the game. Tried to sign him, he was refused a work permit twice on appeal so the deal was dead in the water. A few weeks later, Huddersfield manage to sign a Benin defender 5 years old with half the number of international caps, wtf?! Both are full internationals, looks like I've been proper done over there :(

I found a quality Benin international striker (ok, slight oxymoron there) available on a free at the start of the game. Tried to sign him, he was refused a work permit twice on appeal so the deal was dead in the water. A few weeks later, Huddersfield manage to sign a Benin defender 5 years older with half the number of international caps, wtf?! Both are full internationals, looks like I've been proper done over there :(

Oooooooops

I would also like some more info on how the work permit part works - can't seem to find it on theese forums (only a lot of post of people wanting to know about the work permit system).

Playing LLM I only rarely get work permits, but when I do I have given the players "key role" contracts and they have had a fair number of international caps.

I haven't been able to sign youngsters with youth caps even though it was evident they were stars of tomorrow.

Recently lost a Russian youngster with +20 youth caps who was scouted as twice the player of my current DL - he signed for me twice, but I didn't succeed in getting a work permit either time. He finally signed for some other continental club.

Does appealing all the time work against you in your next work permit application?

I stole this from Yahoo Answers. The last sentence in particular is relevant to you:

In response to concerns that clubs were increasingly passing over young British players in favour of signing less-expensive foreign players, in 1999, the Home Office tightened its rules for granting work permits to players from countries outside of the European Union.Currently a non-EU player applying for the permit must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches for which he was available for selection during the previous two years, and his country must have averaged at least 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings over the previous two years. If a player does not meet those criteria, the club wishing to sign him may appeal if they believe that he is a special talent and "able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK."

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081104083631AAAgcNV

I imagine that, to reflect this "ability to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK", the game would draw on the player's PA, CA and reputation values (though this is purely speculation).

@Reffi- I don't believe that it does, and indeed it shouldn't. Without appeal, the system only grants work permits to players who meet those definitive criteria regarding international appearances. Thus, without appeal it would be utterly impossible to sign players who have not represented their national side frequently enough (be it for personal reasons, ban, or simply young age).

A few weeks later, Huddersfield manage to sign a Benin defender 5 years old with half the number of international caps, wtf?! Both are full internationals, looks like I've been proper done over there :(

Does the Huddesfield eninian have a 2nd nationality? Or do Huddersfield have a work permit feeder club?

Does the Huddesfield eninian have a 2nd nationality? Or do Huddersfield have a work permit feeder club?

Ah yes, he has a second nationality as French. I just saw the headline in the news and was instantly enraged, especially considering the other guy signed for Kaiserslautern and was valued at £1.8m. I'll let SI off for this one ;)

Archived