Mental attribute training

Since I can't do any tutoring thanks to the stupid reputation stipulation. I wanted to ask if there were any ways to increase a youngsters mental stats significantly.

Especially stats like teamwork, work rate, aggression, anticipation, and bravery... I'm guess there isn't anything other then match experience, but wanted to ask anyway.

Of course I have to take the chance to rip on the tutor changes... it's moronic when I have 19 y/o with great physical stats, finishing, and composure but everything else is terrible and my veteran top league players can't tutor him because he has national rep.

Unless there is something other then match experience I have no way to get him better. I sent him on loan to a lower league, which he completely dominated offensively, sadly saw no particular change to his mental stats. I'm thinking my only other option is to get a loan affiliate in a higher league, he's good but I can't imagine putting him in my first team with low teamwork and work rate.

I suppose it is implicit, but I guess the best way is high Tactics training along with match experience!

Anyways, I can tell from limited experience that it doesn't always help, since younger players do not respond well to high tactics training with little improvement shown, if any. In earlier versions this part was complemented by the Tutoring system, but since that is currently broken, I guess you just have to select youngsters with good enough mental attributes.

Tutoring doesn't affect any of those attributes. Of the visible mental attributes, only Determination is affected. The ones you want come through maturity and game experience. I don't think bravery ever changes anyway, and aggression can be reduced by player interaction (fining for violence-caused red cards, for example).

Tutoring doesn't affect any of those attributes. Of the visible mental attributes, only Determination is affected. The ones you want come through maturity and game experience. I don't think bravery ever changes anyway, and aggression can be reduced by player interaction (fining for violence-caused red cards, for example).

Are you absolutely sure about this? I'm asking because I've read plenty of posts regarding how the mental stats of the students are affect by those of the tutor, even the Mental Atrributes. As in, if the tutor has high anticipation (16-20), then that of the student will begin moving towards that value. However, if the tutor's anticipation is pretty low, then the student will actually lose a few point in anticipation.

I think I read this in posts explaining the various messages that the student gives out after tutoring is finished, like 'found it beneficial' or 'gained little' etc.

I would think tutoring would have to have an effect on at least some of those attributes, i mean there isn't any way to train them and it rare to find young players with good mental stats but most professional level players are well suited there... that's can't be just from match play in youth teams and we all know most youngsters aren't capable of being first team players outside semi-pro/amateur leagues.

But even so, you'd expect to see some improvement from a player when they are 18-19, played 32-33 league/cup matches with 23 goals 8 assists and an avg rating of 7.4+. Only argument against it would be the league was too low a level for them, so it was too easy, but it's not like we have the option to put them into any league we like.

Just need to fix tutoring regardless though.

• 7 years later...

I play FM16 and I have found ways to increase a player's mental stats through positional training. If you have a player lacking in agression or bravery, try putting him on the DM-Ball Winning Midfield positional training, regardless of where he plays in the pitch.

While these seem to be position related, it may be easier to just think of them as a group of attributes being trained and their label happens to be a position/role name. Playing a position/role is more effective than just training, so without playing as a DM-BWM your player isn't suddenly going to become one.

What do you have to lose?

Cheers,

Kel

Archived