Another "Job application unsuccessful"

Hello forum,

I dont really mind too much about little bugs or strange events here and there, its part of gaming and eventually biggest once will be cleared with patches so Im fine with that. I have been generally very pleased with FM2011 even though there is not that many changes compared to FM2010, but this one thing has really started to annoy me and Ive wondered why I cant find any threads about this; I started with Gloucester, lowest available division on england (6th) with lowest manager reputation, sunday league footballer. First season was hard for me but then I really started to shine, I gained back to back promotions to 4th division and have been hugely overachieving all the time. When I gained promotion from 5th division, media predicted me to finish last - instead I made 5th division points record and won the league, normal day at the office for me really, thats how its been for many seasons now. Atm is 2017, yea I know, what can I say, I like the game.

The problem is that I cant get any other jobs and my reputation doesnt reflect my results, Im still regional and bar is at ~50%. Ive been applying for many jobs in these years and even very low teams, lower than my current wont take me as a manager, but before posting here I wanted to try if I can get any job. I applied for 6th division team that is on 21st position, small team called Corby 7 points under relegation zone. Just after few days I got the news that I already anticipated; "Job application unsuccessful". What is a bit interesting is that once when I really wanted one job and manager was not yet kicked I made clear that I am interested and I got message that Im one of the top favourite to take the job and I still didnt get it. I really feel like its a bug. Ive played FM for so long and I always start with low league teams and Ive never had this problem in earlier versions, I started with Gloucester and even though my achievements are amazing to be modest I still cant get ANY job. I have 11.1.1 version atm and it was the same with 11.1.0.

Gloucester manager forever and ever?

Two immediate thoughts:

1) Have you tried resigning from your club, becoming a free agent and then applying for a job? It might perhaps be a problem with the fact that you are already employed and that other clubs cannot afford to buy out your contract.

2) Have you posted this on the bugs forum? Well worth doing so as, regardless of the above, something doesn't sound quite right (especially if you have played for several seasons and been successful - although have you actually won any silverware?)

Two immediate thoughts:

1) Have you tried resigning from your club, becoming a free agent and then applying for a job? It might perhaps be a problem with the fact that you are already employed and that other clubs cannot afford to buy out your contract.

2) Have you posted this on the bugs forum? Well worth doing so as, regardless of the above, something doesn't sound quite right (especially if you have played for several seasons and been successful - although have you actually won any silverware?)

Ive thought about that first idea but I dont really want to be a free agent, your explanation is interesting though but surely my contract is not that expansive? Maybe I try it without saving just to make it clear for myself. About that second question, there isnt really much silverware to be taken in lower leagues, I did won 5th league title but nothing special on cup runs. Twice I have been on top3 when I was predicted to finish last so surely my local reputation should be pretty good.

Mr Pink, I agree that in earlier versions it has been too easy to just jump to better club always. If someone could tell me if they have been successful with job application when they have been with a club, would be very helpful :)

Ive thought about that first idea but I dont really want to be a free agent, your explanation is interesting though but surely my contract is not that expansive? Maybe I try it without saving just to make it clear for myself. About that second question, there isnt really much silverware to be taken in lower leagues, I did won 5th league title but nothing special on cup runs. Twice I have been on top3 when I was predicted to finish last so surely my local reputation should be pretty good.

Mr Pink, I agree that in earlier versions it has been too easy to just jump to better club always. If someone could tell me if they have been successful with job application when they have been with a club, would be very helpful :)

I was going to write the same thing. It's most likely because of your transfer fee that they wont buy you out. I can't see any other logical reason.

I have the same problem. I've won the leauge 3 times with SK Rapid Wien, my reputation is world class but every job application is unsuccesfull. I didn't renew my contract, and i took ages to find a club. Now i'm manager of Levante in the spanish second division. Funny thing is that at the press conference, one question was "why I was managing at a club beneath the level i would normally manage". Quite frustrating, althoug i enjoy managing Levante.

I am getting very frustrated by the same thing. Once again a job i apply for is given to a player that has just retired from playing who has no previous jobs and a description as an "unknown manager" with "regional" reputation.

In reality surely nobody is going to quit their job because they "might" get another job ? You would need someone to have had a word in your ear that they would give you the job if you resign. If this is infact the case then this is going to ruin the game for me because i feel like i am stuck managing the club i started with. I dont normally start lower down the leagues in this game, instead choosing to manage Bham City as thats the team i support. This time i thought i would start in league 1 and try and have an actual career but if i stand pretty much no chance of getting a job then whats the point ? I dont have an attachment to the club i am managing, i have no desire to build them up to be world beaters . . it was supposed to be a stepping stone.

This would be a shame if a lot of clubs do not employ you if you are already employed. I am in my second season with Maidenhead after getting promoted in first season via playoffs and am now cruising at the top of BSP. When I get into League 2 I was hoping to be top half of the table at christmas and hopedully a bottom of league 1 club would offer me a contract.

BTW I know this is OT but do your club always find out when you apply for another job?

I think clubs should spontaneuosly approach you when you are succesfull at a club really.

But apart from that its not at all lifelike when you first have to quit a job to be able to apply succesfully at another. I think it never works that way in real life. Successfull managers get approached by clubs when still in the saddle at another club, or managers indicate they'll let their contrat run out because there in the mood for something new (and get more offers for next season for that reason), or managers get sacked. That's how it works I think.

It might be true that lower league applications are unsuccesfull because of contract obligations and such, but then I wonder why the rejection 'letter' doesn't say so. That would clearify things IMO.

Last post is a good one also: why is everything thrown in the media immediately? If a club investigates if a manager is willing to skip clubs, it's mostly in private i would think. The first talks at least. The main reason for ever being sacked is job interst, when I only want to know if I have a chance at clubs of that calibre (FM is al bit too easy in my eyes, never had real trouble getting succes at any club).

"I started with Gloucester, lowest available division on england (6th) with lowest manager reputation, sunday league footballer. First season was hard for me but then I really started to shine, I gained back to back promotions to 4th division and have been hugely overachieving all the time. When I gained promotion from 5th division, media predicted me to finish last - instead I made 5th division points record and won the league, normal day at the office for me really, thats how its been for many seasons now. Atm is 2017, yea I know, what can I say, I like the game."

I'm playing with them too. Is the planned /2012/new stadium worth?

Archived