Young player out of contract...what happens?

Hi all,

I am fighting it out in League 1 and have two top young players who are both 19 and wont sign a new contract. Their contracts expire in 10 months and I have offered them double wages, big sign on fees etc.

If 1st July comes and they are both out of contract, will I get compensation when they leave and is that likely to be below what I would get if sold on the market. Does the same event arise if they sign a pre-contract with someone 6 months before the expiration of their current deal also?

Would appreciate your help 'cos this hasn't yet happened to me.

i believe u get compensation if the player is under 24, trained at the club, you offer a new contract and the player moves to a club in the SAME country.

the defintion of 'trained at the club' is something that someone else will have to clarify.

Not entirely sure on what will happen. But I'd suspect, if the contract expires and no-one has signed them. Then when they leave the club, there is no compensation when a new club signs them. But if a club offers them a contract before thier current contract expires, then you would recieve compensation.

Have you tried to offer a new contract with better squad status yet? Just a thought. Because if they think their worth more than "hot prospect", maybe offer "rotation" or "First Team"

But what about Dan Gosling (IRL). He left Everton, and will join another team soon. I think Everton are entitled to compensation, though I am not 100% sorry.

We are not. We verbally agreed a contract with Gosling and his agent, but we did not offer a written contract at the time because Everton felt there was no need to rush people back from holiday with a Gentleman's Agreement in place. Soon after the deadline Gosling took Everton to arbitration to prove he was a free agent and was free to move without compensation because Everton failed to offer a written contract and he then limped out of Goodison to Newcastle.

Archived