Recurrent low fitness percentages

Hello,

Basically the problem is I can't remember the last time I was able to play a starting 11 between matches without having to concede a rest day. We all are aware of the variables - player stats, tactics (high pressing, etc), or even fixtures. But I have tried everything since reducing the pressing levels in the tactics panel (for my disappointment as I enjoy high pressing teams), apply softer training routines, among others, and I still have to concede rest days to play almost every match.

If I play a match and have another one in 4 days, I have to concede 2 rest days so I can have the team in a 95% average fitness level, in a (very) positive scenario.

If I play a match and have another one in 3 days, I have to concede 2 or even all days until the match. Even worse if the fixtures pile up during the season, turning a seemingly 5/6 day gap from a positive to an irrelevant thing. So I have to frequently sacrify the team training routine for a fit match day team.

It has been like this for more than one FM edition, at least for me. What I am doing wrong? Can you help me out? Thanks for your attention.

When I managed QPR in the Coca Cola Championship this was frequently an issue. What league are you in? Some lower leagues play more matches than the top flight, leading to increased congestion and the need to rest many players. Similarly, a lot of players in the lower leagues do not have as good of physical stats. Thirdly, this is just a guess but I'd imagine that many lower leagues are more physical than their top flight counterpart because of the lower technical quality.

Try resting some but not all of your starting 11, and maybe rotate one or two players in per match in order to rest some yet maintain consistency in the squad. Also, I am more likely to grant a day of training rest after a win, but I rarely do after a loss. Not sure if it actually helps at all in game though.

If it is still a problem, try changing your formation to allow for more passing rather than sprinting, a have a slow build up rather than quick counter attacks.

Those are just some suggestions and observations that have worked for me in the past.

Your not doing anything wrong. And I don't really see it as a problem either. A player wouldn't be 100% fit if they had played 90mins 4 days before. Hence the reason managers sometimes 'rest' players or substitute them early in the match before a really big game.

Thanks for all replies. It doesn't ruin my game experience at all, don't get me wrong, but if I need to rest them on the majority of non match days, then what's the point of the training regimes? The percentages I mentioned (95%) are obtained thanks to 2/3 days of rest. Shouldn't one day of rest and two of training be enough to reach that percentage for example? This happens in all of my saves or teams, by the way. Should I create a training routine to recover them from matches? I'll also step up the squad rotation a notch to see how it turns out.

My tactics are always based in a direct style (ball on the ground but straightforward thinking), with quick passing and high pressing in no ball situations. Principles which work for me results wise but I'm available for experimenting, which I will do accordingly.

High pressing is a fitness drainer as well - try putting this down a notch. Also when winning comfortably, use the touchline shout an tell your players to take a breather - this will help the fall in fitness as well during a match.

Remember as well that playing direct means that you are hoofing the ball upfield and you are asking your players to run like Forrest Gump.

All in all, I am not surprised your players are tired.

Actually, in one of my games in the English lower leagues I accidently left all my players on their high-fitness pre-season schedule throughout the first half of the season and I found that they were fitter 3 or 4 days after a game than usually.

Archived