Biography Feature

I don't know how many pay much attention to the 'Biography' feature under player history. It shows a summary of a players career, awards, etc, in written text format.

As someone who plays LONG management careers, its really cool to check out some of the players in my universe and see their career described.

But I think this feature could be taken a LOT further without excessive work.

Some things I would like to see added:

1) Big performances in big games. Has this player won MoM in a Champions League or World Cup final? Have they scored the winning goal in such an event in the final? In extra time?

2) Did they get sent off with a straight red card in such an event (ala Zidane's last game), or make a tragic mistake that led to the losing goal?

3) Did they demand a transfer from one club to another and get their wish?

4) Have they been named to a club's all time Best Eleven?

Some other things. The player's fame is based on their current reputation, not their historical one. David Beckham is still very vey famous despite no longer being one of the very best world class players.

Also the Biography function does not carry over to managers. We should see their player accomplishments and manager accomplishments in the bio. For managers you could also add things like what managers they have sparred with frequently in the past, vs. which ones they are friends with.

All of this could be done with the data already in the game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some new features that are related to this.

In addition to having fan favorites, how about players and managers that are unpopular with the fans. This could change over time, but take for example Mourinho and Barca. What if they hired him and he had to go through a period where the fans hated him?

Also what about player emnity arising from on-field events? For example if one player injured another severely, in a match, perhaps they might now 'dislike' each other and be more likely to have further on field issues, as well as not like each other if they ended up on the same team.

• SI Staff

The problem with adding all of that stuff is that it isn't researched and isn't really practical to research all that stuff for seasons before the game starts. It only really has access to the player history and achievements section to build the biography.

All that extra stuff could be nice but it may make the biographies too cluttered as time goes on.

I guess personally I am not that concerned about real world historical events being added to the bio. I was more thinking about future events that are generated by the game itself.

Another thing I thought would be nice would be if a player got the best goal in a competition, that the 30 second playback of that got saved and linked to from the bio.

I don't think there's much worry about 'clutter'. Go to ESPN and read the bio for a player like Rooney, it's quite long. I don't think anyone would complain that there is 'too much interesting information' in a player bio!

• SI Staff

I guess it would mean we would have to add these things to a player's achievements / milestones or whatever we would then call them.

Even though you say you aren't bothered about the historical stuff it would be a bit naff if it mentioned Fernando Torres scoring the winning goal in the 2014 World Cup Final but didn't mention his hat-trick in the 2010 World Cup Final as it's not something that is researched.

I think its worse to not mention either than mention one and not the other. If you forever limit yourself on what is researched, you dramatically limit what can be added to the game for no real benefit.

I had a player score the injury time winner in the WC final for England. In real life he would forever be remembered for such a feat but in the game it's virtually meaningless.

I just can't imagine anyone being upset that you added a feature just because you don't have research for what a plyer has done in the past before the game came out.

I guess it would mean we would have to add these things to a player's achievements / milestones or whatever we would then call them.

Even though you say you aren't bothered about the historical stuff it would be a bit naff if it mentioned Fernando Torres scoring the winning goal in the 2014 World Cup Final but didn't mention his hat-trick in the 2010 World Cup Final as it's not something that is researched.

Perhaps only going into biographical details for newgens, then? Especially since, unlike real world players, their achievements might not be known to us managers as their careers progress in the game.

Archived