Spec Tech Heads Required!

Apologies for yet another one of these threads about laptop Specs in relation to FM as i know you guys get loads of these regularly but am currently interested in buying a laptop for around 600 euro and just wondering how well would it run FM2010/2011. I know it is definitely within the specs required but still would be nice to know it can handle multiple leagues, bigger databases, 3D Matches etc.

Inspiron 1555

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor - 2200

English Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

4096mb RAM

Graphics : 512 MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570

Appreciate your help guys

I have a studio 15 dell which has the same graphics card amd runs the 3d match engine perfectly. Processor may be a bit slower compared to my quad core :p but that core 2 will run the game at a good speed still. FM doesnt require a mega rig!

Hope this helps.

Double the ram? LOL. Waste of money. 4GB is more than enough.

I'd say them specs are fine. If you're worried about the processor, then activate the second core. I'm not sure if Windows 7 does it too but Vista by default only activates the first processor.

Go to run/the search box on 'Start' - type msconfig and press enter. Click the "Boot" tab, select "Advance options". You should see, towards the top, "Number of processors" if the option is given, tick the tick box, and set the number of processors to the maximum available. This should sort that issue.

But other than that, them specs are fine :)

Double the ram? LOL. Waste of money. 4GB is more than enough.

I'd say them specs are fine. If you're worried about the processor, then activate the second core. I'm not sure if Windows 7 does it too but Vista by default only activates the first processor.

Go to run/the search box on 'Start' - type msconfig and press enter. Click the "Boot" tab, select "Advance options". You should see, towards the top, "Number of processors" if the option is given, tick the tick box, and set the number of processors to the maximum available. This should sort that issue.

But other than that, them specs are fine :)

Sorry to say, but the whole "windows only uses 1 core" is an absolute myth.

The only point of this setting is to disable cores.

Your CPU looks a bit tame. FM is one of those "CPU type games" where processing and calculations are the meat of the game.

Infact your CPU looks dire in comparison to the rest of your specs. Retailers always skimp on something important, that's why I build my own.

is this spec ok as well

Processor AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Processor M660

- 2.7 GHz

- 2000 MHz HT

- 2 MB L2 cache

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

RAM 4 GB

Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics processor

512 MB dedicated video memory

Screen type LCD TFT screen

Screen resolution 1366 x 768 pixels

Screen size 15.6"

Hard drive 500 GB

Optical disk drive Lightscribe Super Multi (+/-R +/-RW) dual-layer DVD writer

Memory card reader 5-in-1 memory card reader

USB 4 USB 2.0 ports

FireWire 1 FireWire port

Modem/Ethernet Ethernet port

Wi-Fi WiFi 802.11b/g/n

Bluetooth Yes

Video interface 1 x HDMI

1 x VGA

Audio interface 2 x headphones

1 x microphone

TV output HDMi socket

Extension card slot ExpressCard slot

Sound Built-in loudspeakers

Webcam Yes

Battery 6-cell lithium-ion battery

Accessories included Battery, power adaptor, documentation

Software included Microsoft® Works and Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 60-Day Trial Version

Microsoft® Internet Explorer

Windows® Live Messenger

Adobe® Reader

Adobe® Flash Player

HP MediaSmart Suite

HP Setup

HP Advisor

HP Support Assistant

HP ProtectSmart

Cyberlink DVD Suite

Windows Media center

Windows Live™ Applications HP Games Console with hours of free game play

EasyBits Magic Desktop

Norton Online Backup (30-day trial)

Size 378 x 258 x 34 mm (W x D x H)

Weight 2.94 kg

Concerning ram

FM2010 will only EVER use 2GB of your ram, therefore, you only need to have enough extra memory to handle everything else to do with the OS and background programs

I have 4GB on Vista, and I tend to play FM2010 in the background while using, zend, firefox and a number of other programs for work, and listening to music... and it still leaves me with memory to spare

@Fawkon:

Your processor is the only weak point, but providing you don't load too many leagues up it will be fine in speed

3D match engine should be fine with that card as well

@knowledgeboy35:

Same applies as well

Remember, desktops are more powerful than their laptop counterparts, so if you're ok to loose mobility, get a desktop. Tends to be cheaper and more powerful

Sorry to say, but the whole "windows only uses 1 core" is an absolute myth.

The only point of this setting is to disable cores.

That's virtually what I said....I'm not sure if it's the same for Windows 7 but by default upon a new install Vista only has one core activated...

Actually it has all cores activated by default

I know this simply by the fact, I've never touched that setting and Vista uses all 4 of my cores just fine

Just to expand it... that tab is only used for the OS Booting only... hence why it's called the boot tab

Also, it's called "Number of Processors" not Number of Cores, therefore has ZERO effect on core use

For reading: which even includes a quote direct from Microsoft

http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/08/09/tweaking-myth-increase-boot-performance-for-multi-core-users-with-msconfig/

Archived