Press Conference moan

It's really discouraging when every possible response to a press conference question (including no comment) is going to get a negative reaction from the team! :mad:

That's just plain silly, SI!

I was asked about our (Elgin City's) chances of springing a huge upset in a cup match against Dundee United. I decided to experiment by saving before this press conference and redoing just to see what the results would be. Every one of them has the squad 'not reacting well to the handling of the question', including 'no comment'.

Heads you lose, tails you don't win......

I was asked about our (Elgin City's) chances of springing a huge upset in a cup match against Dundee United. I decided to experiment by saving before this press conference and redoing just to see what the results would be. Every one of them has the squad 'not reacting well to the handling of the question', including 'no comment'.

Heads you lose, tails you don't win......

Are you saying that the media focused on the exact same question every time you reloaded even though you selected different answers each time?

How many questions did you get?

What was the reaction of the squad? I'll bet it was different every time.

TBH I don't see a problem with having a question that only produces negative reactions anyway, in that case the target is damage limitation.

TBH I don't see a problem with having a question that only produces negative reactions anyway, in that case the target is damage limitation.

Personally I'd have to disagree with this, considering the limitations of press conferences it's a bit much to have absolutely no chance of even not upsetting your team, never mind motivating them.

I think that's pretty unrealistic. The scenario is a small team playing superior opposition in the cup. Tbh there's not much that the manager of the small team could say in real life that would bring a negative reaction from his players. They're masive underdogs, the pressure's off and it should therefore be actually quite difficult to upset them.

Personally I'd have to disagree with this, considering the limitations of press conferences it's a bit much to have absolutely no chance of even not upsetting your team, never mind motivating them.

I think you have this blown completely out of proportion.

Your not upsetting your team as a whole, only a minority of players react and I'll bet in Rupal's case it was different players each time due to clashing personalities. In fact it could be the case that only ONE player reacted out of your whole squad and even then the effect would only be a slight drop of morale (Maybe superb to very good).

I think that's pretty unrealistic. The scenario is a small team playing superior opposition in the cup. Tbh there's not much that the manager of the small team could say in real life that would bring a negative reaction from his players. They're masive underdogs, the pressure's off and it should therefore be actually quite difficult to upset them.

If you have players that are highly ambitious then they'll expect you to try to win every game. Saying you have no chance demotivates them particularly if they have lower levels of professionalism and determination.

On the flipside players that get nervous, have lower levels of handling pressure will react positively to you playing down your chances.

Are you saying that the media focused on the exact same question every time you reloaded even though you selected different answers each time?

I am saying precisely that, yes.

I think you have this blown completely out of proportion.

Your not upsetting your team as a whole, only a minority of players react and I'll bet in Rupal's case it was different players each time due to clashing personalities. In fact it could be the case that only ONE player reacted out of your whole squad and even then the effect would only be a slight drop of morale (Maybe superb to very good).

I understand that, and although I said team I didn't actually mean upsetting your whole team, just members of it. But I still disagree that in this situation someone should always get upset in some way no matter what you say. I still find it unrealistic that in this scenario you always get a negative reaction from someone. As I said, I think it would be quite easy in real life for a manager in this situation not to upset one single member of their squad in any way.

If this was a high pressure game then I'd feel completely differently and would happily accept that no matter what you say at least one player may have a drop in motivation.

I understand that, and although I said team I didn't actually mean upsetting your whole team, just members of it. But I still disagree that in this situation someone should always get upset in some way no matter what you say. I still find it unrealistic that in this scenario you always get a negative reaction from someone. As I said, I think it would be quite easy in real life for a manager in this situation not to upset one single member of their squad in any way.

If this was a high pressure game then I'd feel completely differently and would happily accept that no matter what you say at least one player may have a drop in motivation.

You only upset someone though if you have built your squad with many different personalities in it.

If you read scout reports, take them into consideration when building your squad and sign players with a similar mindset to each other then you can answer the question with no negative reactions.

You only upset someone though if you have built your squad with many different personalities in it.

If you read scout reports, take them into consideration when building your squad and sign players with a similar mindset to each other then you can answer the question with no negative reactions.

Easier said than done when you operate at the bargain basement end of the transfer market!

Archived