Fix Player Ratings

So much of the game is tied to player ratings, they are basically a representation of how the game thinks a player is performing. And yet it's easy to forget how crap they are at actually measuring what they're supposed to.

For example, one of my wingbacks managed to give away a penalty and score two lovely own goals in a recent match for me. Pretty bad match for him, right? Oh no, it was about average according to the game: 6.3.

Why? Well the fact that we ended up winning anyway 5-4 apparently has a lot to do with it. In a way this reflects what happens in reality; everyone kind of forgets about the guy who had a horrible game if they win despite him. But I know from experience that if we'd lost 3-0 that he would have a much, much lower rating. I lost another match 6-0 and even my "best" players who were only guilty of not doing anything great would get ratings in the high 5s or low 6s.

If I had tried to tell my wingback that I was disappointed with his recent play after that match he wouldn't have any idea what I was talking about. And no one in the media asked annoying questions about how he would be able to bounce back from such an awful game. And if he had had 3 games in a row like that, my fans wouldn't be calling for his head like they're supposed to. That's because all of those things are tied to player ratings.

Here are the improvements I'd like to see made to the player ratings system:

-Make the result (win/loss/draw) have less of an influence on ratings. Some influence is good, but it is too strong now.

-Make scoring penalties less important. Even I can score a penalty against a world-class keeper every once in a while, and I'm American. As far as I can tell, the game weighs a goal from a penalty about the same as a goal from open play which is crazy. Missed penalties should have a pretty severe ratings hit for the taker (and, if the keeper makes a save, a big bonus for the keeper). I haven't really seen whether winning penalties gets you anything but it probably should.

-Have mistakes that almost lead to a goal count for as much as those that do lead to a goal. This is probably my biggest pet peeve with the ratings. If a defender makes a mistake that lets a striker through on goal and he misses, the defender gets much less of a ratings hit than if the striker scores. Why? He still messed up.

-Make completed key passes worth more. I've had lots of games where a midfielder keeps carving the defense up with a ton of great passes that put people through on goal, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the ratings. This is probably related to the above because assists count in the ratings fine but if the striker misses his chance then apparently it doesn't matter that the midfielder made a great pass.

-Keeper ratings are too low in general. I barely ever have my keepers get ratings above 7. I have the second or third lowest goals against in the league and my keeper has an average rating of 6.8? Shouldn't he get a little bit of a bonus for "organizing the defense" or whatever? 3 highlight reel saves should really be enough for a high 7 or low 8, IMO.

Those of you who actually watch the matches, what do you think? How can player ratings be improved to better represent what goes on on the pitch?

What I would like to see is that you would be able to sell a player for a decent fee, if he's been performing really well in the league.

An example from FM09 I think, I had Anthony Le Tallec in my Celtic team and he's been the best player in the league a couple of seasons in a row yet no other team would even take a second look at him even if I offered him out for free.

Similar in this year's version, a players has a couple of great seasons and either no one wants him or they are offering ridiculously low fees. I guess you can make a point about the AI valuing CA/PA/Reputation over performances, but performances are what count in real life. For example I had no problem selling Gabriel Milito for twice his value even if he played like ****, but no one even wanted to offer even the valued amount for my best player rating wise.

That took too long to write for it to get 0 replies, lol.

I think it is a well thought out post and I agree with you. However, i'm sure that it will result in an SI rep stating that if they changed one tiny piece of that code it would create a dramatic negative in an other aspect of the game.

I keep getting 5.4 ratings in defence, even after i win my games, why it's happening i dont know why, only happened after the latest patch.

That's interesting, maybe they fixed something!

Do they have a lot of Mistakes or Mistakes Leading To Goals?

OP

Penalties scored don't count for same as open play, and that's seen by just casual observation.

Mistakes NOT leading to a goal, SHOULDN'T count for the same drop as those that do, for obvious reasons.

IRL keepers generally tend to get the lowest ratings unless they make a string of super saves to get MoM.

Agreed, key passes should maybe get a little more, however there seems to be a difference between a key pass and a goal scoring opportunity, but again, a corner taker is gonna be getting 8's and 9's every match if creating goal scoring opportunities amounted to an increase in ratings.

On the basis of all the matches i have played so far (with the exception of some strange cases), i would say the ratings (at least in 10.2 are pretty spot on).

What !! Who, I, speople making a positive post about the game. That must a first :D

That's interesting, maybe they fixed something!

Do they have a lot of Mistakes or Mistakes Leading To Goals?

Not always especially when we win 3-0 and same ratings if i lose 1-4 and the goal mistakes are from midfield so kinda lost on this one

Mistakes NOT leading to a goal, SHOULDN'T count for the same drop as those that do, for obvious reasons.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that all mistakes should count the same. If a forward misses a tackle in the opponents half, it doesn't really matter. But if you keep gifting the opponent the ball in the six yard box then you are a crap defender whether they finish them or not.

IRL keepers generally tend to get the lowest ratings unless they make a string of super saves to get MoM.

Maybe, but IRL ratings don't matter. In the game they control a lot: fan confidence, player confidence, value, etc.

Agreed, key passes should maybe get a little more, however there seems to be a difference between a key pass and a goal scoring opportunity, but again, a corner taker is gonna be getting 8's and 9's every match if creating goal scoring opportunities amounted to an increase in ratings.

That's a valid point. Probably the game would have to be smart enough that players that create 3 chances from corners don't get as high a ratings bump as players that create 3 chances from open play.

Archived