To counter attack or not to counter attack?

It's a question I have asked myself over the years and I am still none the wiser what is best for me! What do you prefer? To counter attack or not to counter attack? A nice explanation of your choice would be nice too. :)

For me, I play counterattack when I am one of the weaker teams in the division, normal or control when I start challanging for promotion.

I play counter attack regardless of circumstance. Home or away. At the start of the game when I am fighting relegation or after a few years, when I am favorite for the title. I regularly score goals on the counter regardless of the quality of opposition or state of the match.

Having said that, I have a team that is built for speed. Two pacy wingers and a speedy CF. It would be a waste of all that speed not to use counter.

Does counter-attacking mean that your team will sit back and invite the opponent on to them before breaking, though?

I usually play with Man Utd (lot of pace there once I'm done with transfers), but I'm concerned that when playing against another top side, counter-attacking could just mean giving the opposition time and space to construct attacks.

So what does counter-attacking MEAN exactly in-game?

What does it mean when you aren't on the attack? Does it mean your players invite the other team onto them?

You will loose the ball faster since all the attacking players are breaking with pace. They will hardly try and maintain possession breaking the opposition down slowly, but brake with pace (and score fast/loose the ball fast).

I remember someone from SI saying that the counter attack option encouraged your players to break even when the odds are worse (like being 3 on 4). If the counter attack box isn't ticked your team would normally retain possession in that situation, and instead counter when a better opportunity arises (when being 4 on 3 maybe).

It would be interesting to know how your teams' tempo setting interacts with counter attacking..

Archived