Confidence / Form baffles me... Any ideas?

Been doing ok in my 3rd season, nothing special but getting results although I wasn't happy with oppositions possession and chance rate. So I kept tinkering and suddenly it clicked as I beat CSKA Sofia 10-0 at home. Delighted I kept the tactic as it was because if you believe what you read it takes time for a new tactic to gel. That was exciting considering the first game was a 10-0 with 30 shots on goal, 22 on target and 7 CCC.

However since then it has gone like this :

Beat Portsmouth 1-0 with 13 shots on goal, 4 on target and 1 CCC.

Drew 0-0 with Coventry with 18 shots on goal, 2 on target and 1 CCC.

Drew 1-1- with Wolves with 13 shots on goal, 8 on target with 3 CCC.

Lost 0-1 to Everton with 14 shots on goal, 6 on target and 2 CCC.

Also the form of my striker Diamanti is bizarre. In the 6 games up to the 10-0 drubbing he scored 7 goals including the hat-trick v Sofia with ratings of 7.4, 7.7, 6.4, 7.6, 7.9 9.5.

In the 4 games since it has gone to 6.9, 6.0, 6.6, 6.2 with no goals and my Assistant asking me to criticise his form in the media.

Now how is form and confidence meant to work because it has me baffled. A 10-0 win and then I score a measley 2 in the next 4 games out of 20 on target. That's less on target in 4 games than I got in one match!! And Diamanti. A hat-trick is meant to boost confidence not turn him into a muppett!!

Extremely frustrating considering you tinker and tinker with a tactic until you are happy with it and then it almost seems like the ME somehow destroys it's effectiveness in a game or two. For me the game is far too random at what goes on and doesn't allow you to make any real headway. It's like when I beat Man City and Liverpool 1-0 away two weeks in a row then beat Arsenal 5-1 at home. The next two games were home defeats against Birmingham and Hull. Work that one out!!!

Maybe CSKA Sofia played in a way that made the tactic you created overpower them?

If so, then the other teams you've played since then have different tactics, therefore reducing your own tactic's effectiveness.

CSKA played a 4-2-3-1 which should have made things more diffucult as they had 2 DM's./

Pompey 4-4-2, Coventry 4-1-4-1, Wolves 4-1-4-1 and Everton 4-4-1-1.

Now that is even more bizarre as I play 4-1-4-1. Everton I can understand beacuse the AI is brilliant when playing one up with an AM. But Coventry and Wolves played an identical formation to me. I have better players so should have technically been too strong yet draw both at home. Surely!

CSKA played a 4-2-3-1 which should have made things more diffucult as they had 2 DM's./

Pompey 4-4-2, Coventry 4-1-4-1, Wolves 4-1-4-1 and Everton 4-4-1-1.

Now that is even more bizarre as I play 4-1-4-1. Everton I can understand beacuse the AI is brilliant when playing one up with an AM. But Coventry and Wolves played an identical formation to me. I have better players so should have technically been too strong yet draw both at home. Surely!

I honestly don't know how the formations match up, but it's also the individual tactics the opposing manager employed.

Either what I said above, or you're just unlucky. And it was just 4 games...

For me the game is far too random at what goes on and doesn't allow you to make any real headway. It's like when I beat Man City and Liverpool 1-0 away two weeks in a row then beat Arsenal 5-1 at home. The next two games were home defeats against Birmingham and Hull. Work that one out!!!

It's not random; there are factors at work that you are either unaware of or not paying attention to. Diamanti's form might be down to his hidden personality attributes such as consistency and important games. You need to consult your coaches more closely. Also, form and consistency are hard to fathom but not impossible. I refer you to analysis done by SFraser in the Tactics forum. I strongly recommend the Tactics forum generally - that's where serious gurus actually work out how to be successful as opposed to all the GQ clueless numpties who whinge out of ignorance.

Take a look at bubba bay tunas teamtalks really to boost your morale in the squad its in the tactics forum - Also in every game you should be tweaking your tactic to get results, i.e if its a team playing park the bus against you then use a counter strategy forcing them to come onto you, and exposing the gaps they have left :thup:

Archived