Can a player become world class

I believe it's about what you mean when you say 'world class'.

In my perspective, this wouldn't happen.

'Not a wonderkid' can become very good but not world class.

No, a player who was far less than a wonderkid at 19-21 can still can fulfill his potential as a late developer up to the age of 23. Just like Zidane in real life - he was by no means a wonderkid.

No, a player who was far less than a wonderkid at 19-21 can still can fulfill his potential as a late developer up to the age of 23. Just like Zidane in real life - he was by no means a wonderkid.

I don't agree. The 'kid' term is changed nowadays. If zidane was born in 1982 rather than 72, I bet you would call him a wonderkid. And how do you know he wasn't a wonderkid? Did you watch him play in his 18s?

I don't agree. The 'kid' term is changed nowadays. If zidane was born in 1982 rather than 72, I bet you would call him a wonderkid. And how do you know he wasn't a wonderkid? Did you watch him play in his 18s?

He was a promising youngster who was not rated as world class untill his mid twenties. It's a well known aspect of Zidane's development. Even Zidane himself admits that it took him many years more than most to fulfill his potential.

Though I can say I think the closest example of this can be Lampard. If England wins the world cup this summer with Lampard in a key role, he would become world class. He wasn't a wonderkid as far as I know.

I disagree slightly with this. Lampard was seen as an exceptional talent at West Ham as a youngster. It was always said that he needed to get more mobile and more fit to become great (which he did at Chelsea) hence his nickname as 'fat frank'.

He was a promising youngster who was not rated as world class untill his mid twenties. It's a well known aspect of Zidane's development. Even Zidane himself admits that it took him many years more than most to fulfill his potential.

Very well then. You're right mate. But it won't change the fact that zidane was a wonderkid for me, and he'll always be :)

I disagree slightly with this. Lampard was seen as an exceptional talent at West Ham as a youngster. It was always said that he needed to get more mobile and more fit to become great (which he did at Chelsea) hence his nickname as 'fat frank'.

OK but is Frank world class?

For a player to be world class, he would win some international success, both at club and national team levels. And I bet the best successes Lampard had till now is some EPLs, FA/League Cups, Champ League final(s). Not so great international successes.

Personally I don't think Lampard is world class.

I think he's a very talented and effective player but world class - no.

I think he was possibly a wonderkid and he's probably not world class now in my opinion, but as you say - that might depend on the world cup. At the moment I say no he's not world class.

Personally I don't think Lampard is world class.

I think he's a very talented and effective player but world class - no.

I think he was possibly a wonderkid and he's probably not world class now in my opinion, but as you say - that might depend on the world cup. At the moment I say no he's not world class.

I agree completely.

OK but is Frank world class?

For a player to be world class, he would win some international success, both at club and national team levels. And I bet the best successes Lampard had till now is some EPLs, FA/League Cups, Champ League final(s). Not so great international successes.

By this logic Giggs, Shevchenko. Weah etc are/were not world class. International success has limited implication on the class of the player.

Edit\ Also don't label the diving c**t at Real as world class too ;)

By this logic Giggs, Shevchenko. Weah etc are/were not world class. International success has limited implication on the class of the player.

Edit\ Also don't label the diving c**t at Real as world class too ;)

Players like giggs, shevchenko, weah, etc. are more than one time champions league champions. The fact that their home countries are not so great at football is not their fault, so I think they are world class. But england is a very powerful team in world football. You can't compare them to Ukraine, Wales or Liberia. England have incredibly more chance to win EURO/WORLD cups than those countries. Though as I said, Lampard still has a chance to become world class :)

Archived