Defending your precious 1 or even 2 goal lead

I must admit, at first FM 2010 was nothing like CM 4 where I could play 5, 4, 1 with players set to ultra defensive, and protect a 1-0 lead with a Conference side against the likes of Pool, Chelsea, United, and Arsenal practically all day long.

Whereas in FM 2010 I tried protecting leads with a 5, 4, 1 in the English 11th tier and got burned every time.

So I switched to 4, 4, 2 with 15-20 mins left (I normally play 3, 4, 3) ultra rigid, defensive (rather than contain) set the 4, 4 to defensive status in each individual player's role (apart from the strikers) and also their mentality to defensive too, plus the obvious timewasting to the max, and after 7 tries, I still have a 100 % save rate.

I don't use the touchline instructions, as I have basically found these even under normal play, to make matters far worse.

Anyone else got any good tacs for saving a lead or a draw ?

You cant simply set all your team apart from strikers and say you should be able to defend a lead. I found it hard at first defending leads but changes must be very subtle and think about what certain instructions mean. Player roles have a huge effect on what players do in fm10. Also remember at times you simply wont be able to implement tactics you wish because other teams have momentum etc.

Archived