Fierce Rivals and Other Rivals

Rival teams add a nice touch to the game, but I am wondering if they are hard coded into the game or if it is possible to develop new ones as the game progresses? I know this did NOT exist in previous games, but I wonder if anyone knows if it has been added into this version?

I am thinking more along the lines of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea listing each other as rivals as they are the top four? What if a new team breaks into the top 4 and replaces one of them, does the game now recognize this rivalry, or is the only possible to use an in-game editor to alter it?

Some of these rivalries appear totally random imo. Some teams seem to have rivalries with almost every team simply because they are challenging for the same things or because they are from the same city. IRL this is not always the case. Eg. West Ham are not rivals to Arsenal whereas Tottenham are. Getafe are not rivals to Real Madrid whereas Atletico Madrid are. There are so many other examples.

Some of these rivalries appear totally random imo. Some teams seem to have rivalries with almost every team simply because they are challenging for the same things or because they are from the same city. IRL this is not always the case. Eg. West Ham are not rivals to Arsenal whereas Tottenham are. Getafe are not rivals to Real Madrid whereas Atletico Madrid are. There are so many other examples.

That is a data issue, if you think the rivalries are wrong go to the data board and go to the specific team/nations thead and ask why a certain team is listed/not listed as a rival.

These things do change over time though so it would be good to bring it up in the game, our one (Leicester City's) looks exactly how our rivalries looked 15 years a go, but I don't think it's accurate to our current rivalries (has been brought up in the data thread).

For example, Aston Villa are listed in our "Other Rivals" section because of a previous incidents involving Brian Little and them being generally the Midlands' boggest club, yet a lot of Leicester fans have a soft spot for them now and they shouldn't be considered rivals anymore, as Martin O'Neill - a club legend, now manages them. So things like that can affect rivalries and should be built into the game.

Rival teams add a nice touch to the game, but I am wondering if they are hard coded into the game or if it is possible to develop new ones as the game progresses? I know this did NOT exist in previous games, but I wonder if anyone knows if it has been added into this version?

I am thinking more along the lines of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea listing each other as rivals as they are the top four? What if a new team breaks into the top 4 and replaces one of them, does the game now recognize this rivalry, or is the only possible to use an in-game editor to alter it?

They DID exist in previous FMs as well :)

You can find and edit them in the database and I too think they never change, which would be cool though :thup:

Best thing would probably be to post that in the data issues forum too :thup:

Archived