Virtual Memory Low?

I keep getting that on my LapTop so I did a disk clean up and a Disk defragement. then looked at all the programs I dont used and deleted them. Now it works perfectly apart from when the transfer season is running seems not too like all the transfers for some strange reason... Hope this has helped you mate

You haven't changed the virtual memory settings have you?

If you haven't I think the only reason that warning comes up is if you don't have enough disk space. How much free space do you have? If you have more than one drive, how much space do you have on your C: drive?

This relates to how much RAM/VM (they are directly linked to one another) your computer is using, the more you switch in and out of FM the more it begins using on a lot of computers because its switching aspects of your computer from virtual memory and cached/paged memory back to active memory and it burdens your system.

Anyway, past the technical explanation go to start menu right click my computer - properties (if you're on vista a nice, brightly coloured, completely pointless and useless menu will come up where you need to click advanced settings or something similar) a system properties box should come up.

Click the advanced tab.

There will be performance - here you can adjust the various effects currently on your PC to help improve performance, theres an option to adjust for best performance.

After having messed with the visual effects tab, now go to the advanced tab (sorry if its confusing, microsoft really arent original with their names are they?) you will have a processor scheduling option, which should be set to programs.

Then beneath that we finally get to virtual memory, click change usually its only around 500 MB, change it to custom size, depending on the size of your hard drive you can free up space to act as virtual memory, I personally use 2000 MB as the initial size with a cap at 5000 MB - it rarely uses this but in those rare moments when your computer frazzles out and decides it wants loads its there in abundance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by santy001:

This relates to how much RAM/VM (they are directly linked to one another) your computer is using, the more you switch in and out of FM the more it begins using on a lot of computers because its switching aspects of your computer from virtual memory and cached/paged memory back to active memory and it burdens your system.

Anyway, past the technical explanation go to start menu right click my computer - properties (if you're on vista a nice, brightly coloured, completely pointless and useless menu will come up where you need to click advanced settings or something similar) a system properties box should come up.

Click the advanced tab.

There will be performance - here you can adjust the various effects currently on your PC to help improve performance, theres an option to adjust for best performance.

After having messed with the visual effects tab, now go to the advanced tab (sorry if its confusing, microsoft really arent original with their names are they?) you will have a processor scheduling option, which should be set to programs.

Then beneath that we finally get to virtual memory, click change usually its only around 500 MB, change it to custom size, depending on the size of your hard drive you can free up space to act as virtual memory, I personally use 2000 MB as the initial size with a cap at 5000 MB - it rarely uses this but in those rare moments when your computer frazzles out and decides it wants loads its there in abundance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> TY.

I'm running a pretty decent Vista machine with 3GB, and plenty of virtual memory.

I'm in 2027, and manager of Switzerland.

I can play the game fine, yet my system becomes "dangerously low on memory" when I declare interest in a job, then self-exits immediately afterwards.

Luckily, I don't have this problem when actually applying for jobs.

But it's strange nevertheless. I just know not to declare interest in anything icon_smile.gif

Archived