Love the game

SI have done a great job with FM2010.

I'm managing Cape Verde and Aberyswyth Town.

Cape Verde:Played two friendly's so far, lost 3-1 to DR Congo and won 2-1 against Barbados.Future friendlies with Botswana, Bahrain and Wallis and Futuna Islands.

Aberyswyth:Signed Wales legend and former southampton keeper Paul Jones on a free transfer but the team isn't doin well though Paul Jones has hardly let in any goals.

I have to agree I love 2010 since the new patch. I actually like that it is harder to win as in previous versions you barely had to change tactics to walk the league; in this one you have to pay attention, tweak your tactics before and during the game. It makes winning so much sweeter!

I took over Liverpool after Benitez went to Spain (Feb 2010 - I started the game on the swedish time) proceeded to clear out all the average foreigners (riera, kyriakos etc) free'd the older youngsters (el-zhar etc). I took advantage of the fact the game relegated West Ham and got half their squad (Cole, Green, Parker, Collison and Upson) and because of this took a punt when Barca, Roma, Atletico and Milan came calling for Kuyt, Reina, Mascherano, Babel and Acquilani which netted me well over £100m.

We weren't in Europe (Liverpool were 21st when I took over and I steered them to 14th) so my choices were limited. Bought loads of youth players that I remember do well from previous Norwich games (Mattock, Joe Lewis,) managed to convince Chielini and Silva to join me and completed my squad with British players such as Milner, Young, Cattermole and Cahill etc.

What pleased me is that the game felt really realistic; intitially I struggled cause formations and players didn't know each other. A couple of injuries kept disrupting the side but I eventually worked out that if you pay attention to the coaches before a game that gives you an idea on which formation to play and from there it was tweaking it to gain the advantage i.e. playing wide against narrow teams, counter against attacking teams and going offensive against weaker sides at home.

Fortunately I had been lucky in the cups and drawn smaller sides, mainly at home so by the turn of the year while 15 points of Chelsea (with 2 games in hand) I was in the Semi's of the L.Cup and set for the FA. By the end of the season I had won the L.Cup and clawed back the lead from Chelsea. I won the FA on penalties against Chelsea and won the league purely on GD on the final day (Chelsea had Man Utd away and drew while I beat Man City at Home)

What I liked most was that it was hard; I didn't win every game and drew quite a lot. The league swung towards and away from me on numerous occasions and there weren't any really stupid results (i.e. Chelsea didn't suddenly start losing in April to allow me back into it) as Chelsea had similar results against similar teams to me. It was nice not to have won the league by April and while I know people are complaining about superkeepers and such things I genuinely feel this is as realistic as I have known FM

Long story short.... Cheers SI, Happy New Year and congrats to the new MBE's!

Archived